promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

can someone explain this statement about solar energy to me?

"There is enough solar energy in Texas to power half the United States, just have to figure out the most efficient way to harness it."

when discussing solar energy & you hear "power half the USA," what exactly is meant? do they mean an abundance of power as in run your AC on 60 degrees all day because we have enough? i know that sounds silly, but im wondering, what exactly is that statement talking about supplying power to?

and why do they specify texas? whats different about the sun in texas compared with anywhere else in the world?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Texas has a large area, so it was used as the example. It sounds better than saying "all New England states plus New York". Also, Texas receives more direct sunlight than areas further north, due to it's proximity to the equator. More sunlight directly impacts on the equator than the poles.

They take the current stats for power consumption to calculate "half". Of course, power usage varies across the US, especially by season (HVAC in use).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Maybe it is just a figure of speech / example....It's sad when free power is available out there and nothing is being done because no one will get rich from it. If solar panels were made efficient and affordable and put on every house , it would lower power bills and run the air conditioners during the hot spells and will help stop any power shortages. Who will get rich from free power ? Look at the middle east they are pouring a lot of money into solar energy. Why not us ?

• 9 years ago

Texas has more area receiving more sunlight, on average than any other part of the US.

"enough to power half the US" is based on average electricity usage per household.

• EAH
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The most you will get is one watt of power for one square meter / yard area.

Nothing to get excited about.

I would rather give it all, to developing fusion power,

if that happens, then lots of cheap energy.

(not the current fission power)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I am also wondering about solar energy .

I found a good site that can explain in more detail.

• 4 years ago

image voltaic capability is often the capability source. The gas you burn and the coal you employ etc are all from the image voltaic capability. SO image voltaic image voltaic capability is often the capability source. image voltaic capability is the only capability of the previous and the destiny. The nuclear isn't one among those image voltaic capability. it rather is basically opposition to image voltaic capability and could co exist for close to destiny. My guess may be the fusion capability ( resembling the sunlight) would be our Emery source for the destiny

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Solar Power Design Manual : http://Solar.eudko.com/?Onr
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

houses and businesses.

basically, take the total amount of kilowatt hours needed in the US, divide that by two, and that's the amount of energy being described

• 9 years ago

You're joking right?

Light = power.

Is this too hard to understand?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.