promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

is it true that 0.3% of solar energy from the sahara dessert is enough to power all of europe?

thats what i read.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

dunno, dats 4 science and cool sheet

ask dere

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Hey Thumb, that no. assumes some things, for example the sun shining at night, no clouds, and a 100% efficient conversion system, but it is true. What you were reading has to do with the Desertec program the Germans are working on. The system will not use solar panels, instead it's using solar trough collectors to superheat oil to several hundred degrees. The hot oil will be stored in huge insulated tanks and used to boil water to run a steam turbine. This idea has several advantages over the direct water to steam plants we built in the 70's in the desert. First you have direct control over the generator by controlling the amount of water fed into the oil/water exchanger, so you can throttle up and down the power output as needed much faster. Second, since the oil has to cool to 212 degrees before it loses its abilitiy to make steam, we can use the stored hot oil well into the evening hours to continue making solar electricity. It is much cheaper than using solar photovoltiac panels, and is about 60% efficient instead of 12% like panels are today.

The plan is to put this plant in the Northwest corner of the Sahara Desert and use underwater cables to power all of Europe with it in a few years. It will not displace any existing plants or wildlife, only needs to take up a few percent of the desert space, and one of the byproducts of its operation is fresh water after the turbines are done using the steam energy. So they can water certain sun intensive crops there using seawater. If you want to take a closer look at it, google, "Northwest Sahara Solar Project," and look for some links. Take care, Rudydoo

Source(s): Solar Energy International, Solarenergy.org Midwest Renewable Energy Association MREA.ORG http://interestingenergyfacts.blogspot.com/2009/06...
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you could capture it all efficiently, possibly. I read a lot of stuff, not all of it is true. But as far as I know, the cost of producing solar panels at this point outstrips their ROI.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Homemade Solar Power Videos : http://SolarPower.siopu.com/?jRG
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

sahara cheesecake can power me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.