Intelligence MOS army or marines?

So I want to join the intelligence field, I just don't know which branch to choose. I know it is a great career choice, fun and includes a mixture of combat and critical thinking. Which program is more prestigious? I want to join the marines because I know it is tougher mentally, I would be the first marine in my family, I would overcome this small fear of being in the marines (dying), and it would improve my character. I also know that the deployments vary's between the two branches, Marines being 6 months and the Army being a 12, does this play an important factor? Or would my total deployment months tally up to be the same when I leave the either branch at the end of my military career?

HOWEVER I know the army offers great benefits as well. More connections to the civilian sector, faster promotion of rates, and more money for not only my bank account but for college as well. I also heard I could join a airborne unit and possible ranger unit in the army, which is something I would love to do.

SO what are your opinions on my situation? What is it like in this MOS? Any current or past intelligence ops please let me know! and what MOS should I take if you are leaning towards me choosing the army? Which branch would allow me to take pride in my work? Who has better training? Although a stupid question who has better training for me to become a better boxer and mma fighter? (its currently my favorite hobby)

p.s I'm not making my decision because of yahoo answers lol I just want some info and advice that would make my decision easier. Thank You!! =)

Oh and I took the ASVAB and scored a 68, not amazing but I did cheese dick it. So I have to go with a spfft change to either the army or marines since I took the ASVAB a year ago with the navy. (wanted to be a diver, but I had changed my mind)

• lxls
    Favorite Answer

First off since you took the asvab with the navy you'll have to take a different one for the Army or the Marines. The scores don't transfer between branches. When you take the asvab that score is good for two years.

Besides life in the Marines vs Army you need to research the career pipelines between Army intelligence mos's and Marines intelligence mos's. Because the Army will rank cap certain mos's but allow you to get into them from lower ranks where as the Marines will fill those same mos's only with higher ranks but allow you to continue the rest of your career in that job. For example if your goal was to become a Criminal Investigation Special Agent in the Army they only require 2 years of prior related service but rank cap it at E5; where as the Marines require you to be atleast an E5 to become a Criminal Investigator CID Agent.

By the way a 68 in the Marines intelligence field on the asvab could be border line passing and I stress passing because it all depends on your gt line score. Most Marines score higher then a 70 for their overall score for intelligence mos's.

In the Marines an intelligence contract is a 5 year active duty 3 year inactive reserves commitment. You must take the DLAB but are not required to know a language to be in intelligence. If you can learn a language then you'll receive $6k extra a year for immediate need languages up to $12k for two. If you can learn or are fluent in a foreign immediate need language now then I'd slide my eyes over to the Army because they'll give a $35k sign-up bonus. Job bonuses change all the time but the highest first enlistment bonus for intel in the Army I've known of was $5k and $12k in the Marines. Army doesn't give good bonuses for intelligence jobs, their reasoning being that "We're going to train you for a high value job." Even though you'd think that they'd be training to attract the brightest young individuals. The Marines pay the highest bonuses to intelligence mos's their reasoning being "This is a high value job that we want to retain." The most recent reenlistment bonus for an intel position was around $80k in the Marines. The training between the Army and the Marines are pretty much the same. If there is a difference it would be by a few days. The Army does offer more intelligence mos's but that all depends on how your interests narrow that category down. If your particular goal is to become a counterintelligence agent then having all those mos's in the Army are not going to necessarily help. I don't know what mos's in the Army transfer to CI but there's only two you can enlist into in the Marines and atleast one of those transfers to CI. The Marines hold the highest physical standards of any branch so you'll have to keep in excellent physical shape. Plus Marines value progression in the skill of hand to hand combat part of the reason they keep the M16 around.

Insight from a former Marine Corps Intelligence Analyst:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t...

First of all, you wont need to worry about combat with that MOS, you will be sitting in a cubical somewhere most of the time, even if you do get deployed, sorry to disappoint you. The deployment length for Marines is 7-9 months while the Army's are generally 12. Even so, you will be on a base that you will find surprisingly nice (probably don't expect to be eating McDonalds for lunch in Afghanistan, but unless you have a combat oriented MOS you will be). The Army has MUCH better technology at their disposal and a more relaxed atmosphere than the Marine Corps. However, your standard Marine gets more combat training then your average soldier. Again though, with an intelligence MOS that wont matter. If I was going to get a non-combat MOS I would chose Army.

As for your other questions: The benefits from both branches will be the same, as with any other job from the government, however the Army's standard of living on-base will be a little better as they are better funded. The Marine Corps has MCMAP (marine corps martial art program) but focuses mostly on grappling so that wouldn't really help you with boxing. Im not sure what the Army has. Marines have a huge amount of pride for being a Marine. Its rare that ive seen Army stickers on someones vehicle, but I see an eagle globe and anchor fairly often, even though the Army is much larger. Dont cheese dick anything in the military, if you put out effort you will raise above others quickly. Most people lose motivation fast once they enter.

Source(s): Myself - Infantry Marine

Marine Intelligence

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Intelligence MOS army or marines?

So I want to join the intelligence field, I just don't know which branch to choose. I know it is a great career choice, fun and includes a mixture of combat and critical thinking. Which program is more prestigious? I want to join the marines because I know it is tougher mentally, I would be the...

Source(s): intelligence mos army marines: https://shortly.im/3Lrxy

hey man, i'm with the same goal as of now plus i'm in the Marines and i'm trying to have a good conduct (even though it's pretty hard to stay out of trouble when you see the parties or other bullshit work that pisses you off and do something stupid) and even though a military record under your belt would look good on any resume, but i'm just a regular troop that i just waste my time working like a slave too much or pretty much partying and deploying, so it's hard to get ahead with my college courses. So that's the bad side of it. But maybe there is a good side like learning how to do some new things and going different places and seeing different kinds of people. You get military knowledge and especially doing something like intel in any military branch would kick *** because you learn more about things around you. Anyways, it's just the way i see it, because i think it would be easier to be outside the military but then i'd have to pay for my own education which is hard. Think it hard before you do it.

Yes, the ASVAB is timed and you can't use a calculator. The test isn't too bad but that depends on your test taking skills and general knowledge of various subjects. I recommend getting one of these prep books

It can make a big difference in how well you do since you'll know exactly what to expect on the test. The higher your score, the more opportunities you'll have and the better jobs you can qualify for so don't take the test lightly just because some people say it's easy. There's a big difference between doing okay and doing extremely well.

The prep/study book will get you used to the timing of the test so you know how long to spend on each question and get used to the time pressure you'll be under. They give you everything you need to know to do well. Good luck!

If you are joining the Army with an intelligence MOS, get a language. Disregard sitting in cubicles, working from far away offices, that's BS. You learn Farci or Arabic and you'll be kicking in doors with infantry platoons. Tack on interrogation and you have a very cool job that will get you hired after you get out. Go 35M with a language identifier, good stuff!

• peng

Usmc Intelligence

Go with the Marine Corps because when you see them doing all the work for you your going to be kicking your self saying i wish i was one of the most bad *** mother fu#*ers the world has ever seen