According to Christian religion? Heaven..?

According to the Christian religion, does one go to heaven right after they die? Or do they wait in the graves till resurrection?

I've been reading around and have just found people's opinions like "Yes, I think you do..."

I want actual versus in the bible, or a website that explains this.

One person is telling me that according to the bible, all dead people will only go to heaven when resurrected. Another is saying we go right when we die.

Being an atheist, I never really cared until now, because I need to know this for an essay. The christian religion is soooo confusing :(

Best Answer

There is not a universal consensus among Christians regarding the answer to your question. Different churches interpret the Bible differently on this and many other questions.

Many things in Christianity don't make sense, that's why many Christians are leaving Christianity. And in the Bible, you will find many contradictions.

Jesus is not God, he is a messenger of God.

John 7:16 Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me.

Luke 18:19 Jesus spoke to a man who had called him “good,” asking him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”

John 14:28 “My Father is greater than I.”

Almighty God is absolutely One and His Oneness should never be compromised by associating partners with Him - neither in worship nor in belief.

God that Muslims worship is the same God that Jews and Christians worship - because there is only one God.

Muslims believe that all of God's prophets, which include Abraham, Noah, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad, brought the same message of Pure Monotheism.

(to read more) http://www.thedeenshow.com/nonmuslims.php?id=114

The truth is found in the Qur'an. Try to read it, you won't lose anything. Islam is clear.

http://quran.com

Here are some good videos if you are interested:

Top 10 reasons why Jesus Christ Isn't God (Using the Bible)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW99U4JWNEc

Youtube thumbnail

True Gospel of Jesus Christ with Former Christian Youth Minister

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-386740960...

How Bible Led American Christian to Convert to Islam (part 1/6)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHWyW6OrkeA

Youtube thumbnail

Christian beliefs about the afterlife vary between denominations and individual Christians, but the vast majority of Christians believe in some kind of heaven, in which believers enjoy the presence of God and other believers and freedom from suffering and sin.

Views differ as to whether those of other faiths or none at all will be in heaven, and conceptions of what heaven will be like differ as well.

A slightly lesser majority of Christians believe in the existence of hell, where unbelievers or sinners are punished. Views differ as to whether hell is eternal and whether its punishment is spiritual or physical. Some Christians reject the notion altogether.

Catholic Christians also believe in purgatory, a temporary place of punishment for Christians who have died with unconfessed sins.

For more specific Christian views about the afterlife, following are doctrinal statements from several different Christian denominations and organizations on the afterlife.We believe, according to the Scriptures, that there shall be a resurrection from the dead, both of the just and of the unjust, (Acts 24:15) and that God hath appointed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness, by Jesus Christ whom He hath ordained. (Acts 17:31) For, as saith the apostle, "We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." (2 Cor 5:10). We sincerely believe, not only a resurrection in Christ from the fallen and sinful state here, but a rising and ascending into glory with Him hereafter; that when He at last appears we may appear with Him in glory. But that all the wicked, who live in rebellion against the light of grace, and die finally impenitent, shall come forth to the resurrection of condemnation. And that the soul of every man and woman shall be reserved, in its own distinct and proper being, and shall have its proper body as God is pleased to give it. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body; (1 Cor 15:44) that being first which is natural and afterward that which is spiritual.

... We believe that the punishment of the wicked and the blessedness of the righteousness shall be everlasting, according to the declaration of our compassionate Redeemer, to whom the judgment is committed, "These shall go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." (RV, Matt 25:46)

You've been conditioned to believe the lie that they have sown deep into your mind and thinking. We are all alive in the super unknown where everyone tries to find truth with lies, bullshit, theories, assumptions and superstitions. I am in and out of faith but I have currently lost all my faith and i believe in nothing, but myself. We should all believe in ourselves rather than an omnipotent creator who domesticates and makes us docile to being a goody too shoes and doing nothing wrong or we'll go to ****** hell. **** religion and **** heaven and hell. Has anyone gone to the grave and come back alive to tell everyone about? no! Then what, if your neutral then where do you go, nowhere? The Christian is a way of man manipulating your free will and your freedom of choice. Believe in me or else. Save sex til marriage, tran-sexuals, bi-sexuals, and gays and lesbians and suicides are all going to hell. There might not be a god and god does not give a ****** **** about anything or us and left us all to die and decompose in our goddamn ****** graves. But would a god let you die? There is no god and never was, a man made ****** creation to desensitize our feelings and fear of death.

"Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification or immediately,-- or immediate and everlasting damnation." - Catechism of the Catholic Church

Judgement day is when we are reunited with our physical(perfected) bodies (resurrection of the dead).

However, that doesn't men people aren't already in heaven.

Colossians 1: 12 “giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in he inheritance of the saints in Light.”

Also, Jesus tells the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. The rich man (most would agree) was in hell (although some argue he was in purgatory). Either way, he was conscious after his death.

So, souls will be judged immediately and later returned to their bodies to go off to their eternal destinations.

Source(s): Here is the whole catechism section on heaven, purgatory (which is purification since nothing unclean can enter heaven), and hell. http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a12.htm

Yes.

People use Ecclesiastes as their proof, when that is simply to referring to the fact that there is no awareness after death.

Hebrews 9:27 CLEARLY states:

Hebrews 9:27

New International Version (NIV)

27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

Heaven or Hell, immediatly after death!

Some have told me that people who have died are not "judged" yet. I guess they're on hold until the "judgement day" happens.

.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE ?

Jesus said: “ . . . saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” [Revelation 17-18]

What is Death ? – Death is a return to the ground:

“In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.” [Genesis 3:19]

“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.” [Ecclesiastes 12.7]

When everyone is born God supplied the 'breath of life' and he becomes a living soul.

“And the LORD God . . . breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. “ [Genesis 2:7]

Note: man IS a soul, man does not posses a soul

At death, when a man's breath goes forth, he dies - his being, his "soul" perishes. only a living man is a living soul.! Dead is dead. There is no "soul" that goes out of the body to live elsewhere! No "soul" goes immediately to heaven or hell. Dead is dead!

“For as the body without the spirit is dead, . .” [James2.26]

The Sleep of Death.

At death the body returns to dust and the life force (not the soul) to the creator

“ . . . but the dead know not any thing, .” [Ecclesiastes 9.5]

“His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.” [Psalm 146.4]

Lazarus was dead four days, yet he gave no report of any “life after death” experience. (refer John 11.39)

The Bible uses “sleep” as a figure of speech for death.

Jesus said: “. . . Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; . . “ [John 11.11]

David prayed “Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;” [Psalm 13.3]

“And they stoned Stephen, . . . Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.“ [Acts 7.59-60]

“. . . the fathers fell asleep, . . “ [2 Peter 3.4]

“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: “ [Hebrews 9:27]

The Hope of Resurrection – “Awake and Sing”

Death is NOT the end. There is hope. As there is a falling asleep, there is a waking up.

“Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: . . .” [Isaiah 26.19]

“ . . . them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake . . . “ [Daniel 12.2]

The next event that everyone will experience will be the resurrection, as John says, to face the results of his judgment.

“And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. “ [John 5:29]

Jesus said: “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:” [John 11.25]

What does it mean to “believe in Jesus”? –

To believe that He is the ONLY source of resurrection life; that He paid the penalty for all of our sins when He dies on the cross and by His resurrection made possible our resurrection to eternal life; then by prayer we can invite Jesus into our lives and experience His resurrection power for daily living.

The best way you can prepare for death is to get to know Jesus right now by prayer and Bible reading. You could pray this prayer right now –

Dear God in heaven, I know that I am a sinner. And I know that you sent your son Jesus to die on the cross for my sins and that he rose from the dead in 3 days. I want Jesus to come into my heart and have all my sins forgiven. Please help me and guide me through my walk in the faith. Lord please accept my prayer in the name of Your Son, Jesus, Amen.

.

Source(s): May God bless you as you study His Word <:SDA>< King James Bible