Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 9 years ago

Why are my blood glucose readings so high after dinner?

Okay, so my morning blood readings are almost always good, 80's and high 70's. After breakfast and lunch it's usually the same (testing 1-2 hours after the first bite), maybe 100-120 if I have a lot of carbs at lunch. But after dinner it will spike to like 160 or even a little higher (If I really over eat and have ice cream and stuff). But then I'll test the next morning and it will be like 77. Could it be my liver? I think my liver isn't working properly at night because I have pains there. Perhaps it's releasing to much glucose or something.

I used to drink a lot but haven't had a single drink in almost 2 years.

Favorite Answer

I don't think this has anything to do with your liver. In fact, if your liver were the issue, I'd expect your blood sugar to be high in the morning, but it's not.

Your pancreas is working well enough that you are able to return to a normal fasting level overnight. Your pancreas is not working well enough to prevent huge blood sugar spikes when you consume a lot of carbohydrates. I don't know why your dinner numbers are worse than your breakfast and lunch numbers, but off the top of my head: you could be eating more carbohydrates at dinner than earlier in the day, your pill/insulin schedule could have something to do with it (if you're taking your pill with breakfast or before bed, your dinner may be too far away for the pill to be doing you any good), your dinners may be much larger than your other meals, strenuous exercise before dinner may be elevating your blood sugar.

Spikes over 140 mg/dL are dangerous for your body, so the easiest solution is to recognize that dinner is the worst time of day for you to be eating ice cream and large meals. Eat as low carb as you can for dinner and, if you're going to indulge, do so earlier in the day when your blood sugar is more cooperative. Diabetes is all about recognizing your individual patterns. I have the worst blood sugar of the day early in the morning and late at night after dinner, so I keep my meals or snacks small at these times. I eat the most carbohydrates at lunch because that is when I am most tolerant of them.

Think of your body as a car. In order for the car to have energy to

run and move, it needs gasoline. How does it get gasoline, through a

pump at the gas station.

This is similar to what happens you your body. Your body has

living cells. They need energy to enter into them before they can

let you perform all the functions that you would like to do.

The main energy source of the body is Glucose (sugar).

When you eat, the body breaks down the food you eat into

carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and glucose (sugar). This

is transported to the liver. Consider the liver your reserve

tank. Any glucose that is not used will be stored by the liver

and it is also a converter because it can change the carbohydrates, etc.

into glucose when your body will need extra (like in between eatting times).

Glucose is link the gasoline that enters the body. How does the cells

of the body get this glucose (gasoline) inside the cell...it does this

by the Pump (which is insulin in the body that is produced by the

Pancreas). You could say the insulin is the key that opens the

door to the tank (cell) to let the glucose in.

So, lets look at all this. The food you eat has glucose. So when you

first eat, it is highest in the blood as it is transported to the liver.

When you exercise, breathe, heart beats or any activity you do,

even sleeping...your body uses the glucose that are inside the cells.

As the glucose is used by the cells, the liver will release the stored

glucose and insulin will also be released for the glucose to enter

into the cell providing more energy. As the glucose is used,

the amount in the blood supply decreases.

In the morning, you haven't eatten during the night...therefore, your

levels may be the lowest. When you eat, the levels in the body goes

up. In between meals it will start to decrease until you eat your next

meal and your body has used up the energy it was given. The

insulin provides the key for that energy to enter the cells...

remember it is the pump. The liver provides the glucose from it

stored energy (reserve tank) to be sure your body can still perform

all functions needed until you eat again.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the liver...but, it would

not hurt to have Liver Enzymes, Liver Function, and Liver viral test done

to be sure. Anyone who drinks alcohol and either overconsumes it all

at once or consumes it over long periods of time...can develop what is

known as fatty liver disease or inflammation of the liver cells. Blood

tests will show this early on (as the liver is a very quiet organ about

damage being done to it cells). If the cells are damaged, stopping

the cause early on can lead to the liver cells healing and the problems

with the liver to be reversed. Best wishes

Source(s): caregiver to a liver transplant patient

1

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?ndJL

2

Source(s): 30 Days Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?oJGY

Dinner tends to be the heaviest meal consumed so all you have to do is journal about what you've eaten and once you fully see a pattern, speak with your doctor about adjusting your insulin levels. But to be honest with you, your after dinner readings are not excessively high. Those numbers seem to be a bit normal post-dinner. Something as simple as having a glass of juice can spike up your levels really fast after or during a meal. Having any kind of desert will definitely require an insulin adjustment. I drink water when I know that I will have a meal that will definitely raise my glucose levels.

Your liver might have been affected by your drinking. That should be checked out. You just want to be safe and congrats on the two years. Take care and good luck to you!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Okay, so my morning blood readings are almost always good, 80's and high 70's. After breakfast and lunch it's usually the same (testing 1-2 hours after the first bite), maybe 100-120 if I have a lot of carbs at lunch. But after dinner it will spike to like 160 or even a little higher...

Source(s): blood glucose readings high dinner: https://tinyurl.im/1fq2o

It's a very simple answer. Your blood sugar is higher after dinner because your body is digesting the food and the insulin hasn't had enough time to fully correct the sugar levels. At least for quick acting insulin. If you use the long acting stuff then you might just need a higher dosage. Your liver issues could be completely separate. Try testing before dinner:). Btw my numbers are almost never under 150 haha

Source(s): Diabetic for ten years

If your liver is releasing glucose, it usually happens at night, and you'll wake up with a higher blood sugar. It's called the dawn phenomenon. I have experience with that. But a high glucose two hours after dinner means you're not covered well, if you're taking insulin. Are you on fast-acting or one of the longer acting insulin types?

I don't know about you, but I tend to eat more calories at supper, and that will always cause higher blood sugar afterward.

If you worry about your liver, get some blood tests done to set your mind at ease. It's better to know than to wonder.

Source(s): a-diabetic-life.com, WebMD, and personal experience as a type 2 diabetic

I'm a 45 year old woman and was recently diagnosed as being a borderline diabetic. My doctor prescribed some medication, but before filling it I decided to do some research on the internet which led me to the methods. After reading this ebook and applying the methods, my scepticism turned to 100% belief. I noticed that my energy levels increased significantly and I felt more rested in the morning, my symptoms started going away.

I am very happy to tell you that I have been feeling better than I have felt in years and my doctor informed me that he will be taking me off my prescriptions if I keep this up.

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

i don't think you're liver has anything to do with it. i am a type 1 diabetic and it's a slight possibility that you might be type 2, or maybe on the verge. still those reading arn't TOO high and i wouldn't be really worried, but you might want to visit a doctor. just so you know type 2 diabetes isn't really that bad and a hell of alot better than type 1. wish you the best.

Source(s): myself