promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 9 years ago

Reinstall Win XP without CD/HDD access?

I have tirelessly scoured the internet for help with this problem, but to no avail;

My sister has an Acer Aspire One laptop that DOES NOT have a disc drive, NOR did it come with any Windows discs whatsoever. Recently, it has been afflicted with the famed Mup.sys system hang, which safe mode does not fix.

Can I wipe the computer and reinstall windows given the above circumstances? Thanks, all!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most acers have a hidden recovery partition which can be accessed during bootup but also should be available in safe mode via e-recovery manager.

Partition recovery without disc ,

this is possible as Acers keep a factory OS copy in a hidden partition (PQservice) by default .

Restart computer.

When the Acer splash is on screen hold Alt and keep pressing F10.

You will need a password , if erecovery has been run before (to make back ups etc) you would have been asked to create a password.

If erecovery has never been run before the default is "000000" (six zeros).

Select factory from top of list.

If the above fails.

A recovery on an Acer needs the D2D enabled ( hard disc to hard disc )

Turn computer on .

Press F2 repeatedly.

Select "Main" and enable D2D

( Note. Your mouse will not work so use arrow keys and enter).

Exit saving changes. and retry Alt+F10

HTH

David

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • gauvin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

expensive, pass all your important data to a different force on your computing gadget. restart computing gadget insert homestead windows xp bootable cd bypass for the duration of the installation technique there are 2 forms of installation - restoration and clean installation in case you save your documents on a different force and you dont prefer something on C: force you're able to do a clean installation. format the c: force or you cant installation xp on c: force for restoration installtion no might desire to agonize. not something gets deleted

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.