Why do the majority of Irish, Scots and Welsh look more Mediterranean than Celtic?

Even though I was born in North America, I have some Scottish ancestry. I noticed that the majority of people I encounter who are of Irish, Scottish, or Welsh do not have that typical "Celtic" look (red hair, green eyes, freckles, etc.). As a matter of fact, many of them have very dark brown hair, brown... show more Even though I was born in North America, I have some Scottish ancestry. I noticed that the majority of people I encounter who are of Irish, Scottish, or Welsh do not have that typical "Celtic" look (red hair, green eyes, freckles, etc.). As a matter of fact, many of them have very dark brown hair, brown eyes, and not-so ruddy skin. I went to England once, and many of the English there are also the same. They also do not resemble Nordic people (blonde hair, blue eyes, pale) in Scandinavia and Germany (even though English is a Nordic language).

Why is this so? Where did these darker types of people come from? Also, I'm not talking about recent Middle Eastern immigrants but British people whose ancestors have lived there for many centuries. Anyone have an idea?