Am I required to obtain an ABN (Australian Business Number)?

I am in High School (Yr 10 in Melbourne VIC) and a few people have come up to me and asked me to design, construct and manage a website for their small businesses. This would require a one off payment for the website and then a regular monthly payment for the management of their site (hosting, domain name, updates... show more I am in High School (Yr 10 in Melbourne VIC) and a few people have come up to me and asked me to design, construct and manage a website for their small businesses. This would require a one off payment for the website and then a regular monthly payment for the management of their site (hosting, domain name, updates etc...)

I have had a look on the Australian Tax Office's website and after completing an online questionnaire, I am eligible for an ABN but do I need one to receive full payments from my customers?

I doubt that I will make $75,000+ per year (so I am not required to register for GST).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated (sorry the description is a little wordy!) as I am very new to this area.
Update: Thanks. Letting you all know I am doing this by myself. Self Business
Update 2: That is I am making the websites on my own and I plan to invoice these customers / businesses, possibly through an online invoice service like FreshBooks.
1 answer 1