How to trailer a horse in extreme heat?

I may have to trailer my horse in 95 degree weather (with a heat index of 110!). My trailer is a white two horse with vents and it is an hour and a half trailer ride. I'm planning on stopping halfway and unloading checking pulse, dehydration, offering water, hosing them down etc. Because of government shutdowns all the rest stops are closed so its not going to be easy to stop any more than that. I also have a camera so I can watch them while I drive. Are there any other precautions I can take to avoid heat stoke?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • charm
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

I never have problems hauling in that kind of heat, but I also haul in a stock trailer, so the horses are actually more comfortable moving in the trailer than standing outside of it. An hour and a half shouldn't be a problem for you, especially since you have a camera, so you will be able to tell if they are too hot. My biggest concern is how open your trailer is-- I've seen horses arrive at shows in closed up trailers, and almost without an exception they climb off those trailers sweaty and hot. A horse itself generates a lot of heat, so closed trailers aren't a very good choice unless you are hauling in very cold weather. I would open or remove every window you can safely open in that trailer, and let the wind as you move down the road do the job of keeping the horses cool. I would also offer a nice grass hay in hay bags for the horses, so they can relax for the trip. I would probably bring water from home, since the horses are more likely to drink water they are used to.

As others have said, I would not unload them unless you are certain the trailer is too tightly closed and they are sweating a lot; standing out on a busy, strange road in the sun on a hot day isn't going to cool them down much, and could make them hotter.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If it is possible i would travel early morning even when it is still dark as sun is what produces the most heat, also the wet blanket is a good idea but make sure it is removed before it becomes warm because this will only cause discomfort for your horse, alone with everyone else i would not suggest stopping and unloading on the side of a highway this could become dangerous. its not a long trip and the cameras are very handy and smart they will help you monitor the horses without to many stops, Good luck :)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If possible, travel either in the late evening or early morning when it is a bit cooler. You can also install fans. It doesn't take long for a metal box to get dangerously hot. The problem with unloading on the road, is that there is always the chance of not being able to get the horse back in-especially if it is uncomfortable. U would offer water but not unload unless the rest area is set up for horses.

• zakiit
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Take lots and lots and lots of water with you and stop every half an hour or so to give the horse a drink. I would not worry too much about unloading - what would happen if the horse decides he or she does not want to reload?

I would not put anything on the horses other than bandages and boots, they can go butt naked for that time with no problems.

I like the idea that someone else has suggested of taking a wet blanket. I would put it in a cool box.

When the horse gets off the trailer at your destination, take his or her temperature and offer as much water as he or she will drink, and get them into the shade or a loose box as quickly as possible.

Source(s): Ex show jumping groom.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

We are in south Texas same weather, 1 1/2 hrs isnt going to hurt your horse. As long as there is good air flow no problem. Animals are hauled all over the U S everyday in 18 wheelers and dont have strokes or die. These animals are tough.

Source(s): Lifetime around stock
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

As long as you have some sort of ventilation, with that short of a drive, you should be just fine. Open all the windows, if you can and air vent on top if you have one. If you can drive in the morning before it gets that hot, it would be better. I would maybe stop halfway just to check, but it is not that long of a drive, but it does depend on what type ventilation you have.

Source(s): Raising quarter horses and hauling alot!
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

One, that may be of help. SOAK a full blanket with ice water. He/She will be cold at first, but will enjoy it soon after. If it has a top door leave them open. My trailer has a window that I can see when I keep my truck window down. Don't wring the blanket. When you stop take it off, and leave it off. It will feel cooler. Can you not pull off to the side of the road? ope you win!

• borja
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

astonishing tale of the intelligence shown by utilising animals! Many such thoughts bypass unheard, or maybe unseen. This many times happens between species of animals even interior the wild. there's a lesson here for all people. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.