are the forms for common law in TX the same as a regular divorce?

How would I do a common law divorce in Harris county tx but we never filed for a "informal Marriage" and we've got 1 child? I've researched but cant find anything and I truly can not afford a lawyer so of course it would have to be a do it your self. I can't take him off my life insurance until a divorce is final is what I've been told by the Insurance company. Please help!!

Favorite Answer

most people do not understand exactly what “common law marriage” is. Most people simply think that if two people live together for a while, there is a common law marriage.

Texas continues to recognize the validity of informal marriage including unions that are entered into within its borders as well as those entered into in other states recognizing common law marriages. The law has long been that two people who wish to be married do not need to have a ceremonial marriage.

The policy of the state of Texas regarding marriage, whether ceremonial, common law, or putative, is contained in section 1.101 of the Texas Family Code, which provides the following:

“in order to promote the public health and welfare and to provide the necessary records, this Code specifies detailed rules to be followed in establishing the marriage relationship. However, in order to provide stability for those entering into the marriage relationship in good faith and to provide for an orderly determination of parentage and security for the children of the relationship, it is the policy of this state to preserve and uphold each marriage against claims of invalidity unless a strong reason exists for holding the marriage void or voidable. Therefore, every marriage entered into in this state is presumed valid unless expressly made void by Chapter 6, Suit For Dissolution of Marriage, or unless expressly made voidable by Chapter 6, and annulled as provided by that Chapter. Texas Family Code §1.101.

For More Information Concerning Common Law Marriages in Texas, please see the following articles:

Proving a Common Law Marriage in Texas, Development of Common Law Marriage in Texas, Overview of Common Law Marriage

If your marriage is in crisis, you need urgent actionand proven strategies to help save it. Don't wait a moment longer, Learn here https://tr.im/fNInE

Did you know that the longer you leave it, the more damage you risk doing? Don't risk pushing your spouse even further away.

Save My Marriage Today is the most comprehensive and life changing course I know of that has saved thousands of marriages and reestablished love and renewed commitment. Let yours become the next success story!

• Joseph

1

Source(s): Marriage Miracle Solver http://SaveYourMarriage.latis.info/?7R4t