Another major step in tolerance & acceptance of Gays/Lesbians etc? Your thoughts + story inside->?

Respectful answers please

Calif. gov signs landmark law to teach gay history

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill making California the first state in the nation to add lessons about gays and lesbians to social studies classes in public schools.

Brown, a Democrat, signed the landmark bill requiring public schools to include the contributions of people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender in social studies curriculum. The Democratic-majority Legislature had passed the bill last week on a largely party-line vote.

"History should be honest," the governor said in a statement Thursday. "This bill revises existing laws that prohibit discrimination in education and ensures that the important contributions of Americans from all backgrounds and walks of life are included in our history books."

Brown signed the bill Wednesday, but announced on Thursday that he had done so.

The bill has drawn criticism from some churches and conservative groups that argue such instruction would expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable.

Republican lawmakers who opposed the bill had called it a well-intentioned but ill-conceived bill. Some raised concerns that it would indoctrinate children to accept homosexuality.

State Sen. Mark Leno, a Democrat from San Francisco and the bill's author, hailed the bill signing as a step toward teaching tolerance. Supporters say the bill will teach students to be more accepting of gays and lesbians in light of the bullying that happens to gay students.

"Today we are making history in California by ensuring that our textbooks and instructional materials no longer exclude the contributions of LGBT Americans," Leno said in a statement.

Rest of the story is on this link-> http://news.yahoo.com/calif-gov-signs-landmark-law...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Thanks for the alert Scooter and you know who answered before me. We have discussed it and approach it with cautious optimism being two gay females. It is a right move and California is advanced or more evolved than some other states perhaps, applying acceptance and tolerance. Ignorance will out live us, but small or large voices can still be heard. The new of it is not so different than freedom of choice notions, as long as they are within the boundaries of good sense and morality. History is quite clear as it regards repression, so that is another battle to be waged, even if never won. Good question this was Scooter, thank you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

California ranks 34th out of the fifty states in SAT scores. Take out the private school numbers and California has to be near the bottom. Rewriting history books and taking time from teaching the basics to teaching agenda is absolutely counter-productive from an education point of view. From a political point of view, it picks up the endorsement of supporters of gay rights, but is that the role of public secondary education, especially in a state that simply can't get it right educationally?

• Kate D
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

God bless Jerry Brown and Mark Leno! They're right -- people who have made great contributions to our society deserve to be acknowledged for those contributions, regardless of their race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. LGBT'ers have been persecuted and denied their civil rights for too long on the basis of their sexual orientations, and even today, too many kids are learning that homosexuality is sinful and/or unnatural, and that gays don't contribute anything positive to society.

As a result, LGBT kids are subjected to exceptionally cruel bullying and discrimination, and are at a much higher risk of suicide than other kids. Teachers need to make it clear to gay and straight kids alike that homophobia will not be tolerated in the classroom or on the playground; that it's perfectly okay to be gay and/or have gay heroes; and that gays can contribute, and have contributed, many wonderful things to society. LGBT kids, in particular, need heroes that they can relate to in that sense -- and, like my teachers in Illinois, teachers in California and around the world can make those lessons clear without discussing gay sex acts!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Hi Scooter I read that and you know I am a totally gay young woman, but the edict smacks of what we don't know yet as acceptance or preaching, degradation, tolerance and leave things alone if they don't corrupt a person personally who is not gay.

Is it a good, first step, as are the gay marriage laws? Yes, but will prejudice ever truly be silenced

The class, and the action remind me of when classes were taught about the body and especially at a young age in how they were presented drew "EWWWW" or "AH"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I wish the UK was like certain states in the US but we've got Brighton and I guess that's fine because only rough places discriminate, other places keep it quiet. It would be a step for acceptance of lgbt people, mostly gay and lesbian but transgender people deserve the same rights we do and bisexuality really shouldn't be much of a problem for people, we shouldn't hate bisexuals ourselves because that is pointless.

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Makes sense, teach it as it pertains to the individual in question or movement as a whole. For example, if talking about computers and/or World War 2 then yes by all means teach about Alan Turing, the brilliant man who helped crack enigma (the nazi's communication code) and father of computer science and yes gay man who committed suicide because of the abuse he suffered for being gay. Talking about the origins of several right's movements (women's suffrage, civil rights, and yes gay rights). Doing a kind of 'gay history month' like they do for black or women's, sure. History is history, its written it doesn't care about politics except in a historical sense not in the policy-making one. Its just the path humanity has taken in the past, so we can learn from our mistakes to make a better future.

All and all, great news in the name of education.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think that's great. It's not like they went and left Hitler out of history just because he was a terrible person. It's bad that they even cut out history of homosexuals. This is a step in the right direction.

Then you have the people who say that children are being indoctrinated to accept homosexuality. This mostly comes from church groups. So it's kind of like how we learn about religious history in school, because learning about it definitely means indoctrination. People need to get over themselves and stop acting like they are the "pure ones".

• 9 years ago

California is way ahead of the rest of this country. I'm sure one of the New England states will be next. If Maine were just Portland, we'd have done it ages ago. But the welfare hustlers in the north and west are also christians. We've been carrying them economically, and tolerating their idiocy for generations.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Thats not normal?

Ive learned about that stuff since 7th grade, about how gays have influenced society

EDIT- Oh I missed the required part, I thought it meant it was allowed now, thats stupid that they HAVE to teach that stuff, I have nothing against gays but we shouldnt have to learn about them, its the same as religion

• 9 years ago

I'm a teacher in California and welcome the opportunity. The best way to overcome ignorance is education. The opposite of fear is understanding.

Source(s): Teacher for over 35 years.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.