Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Is it OK to run an illegal library from my locker at school?

Let me explain.

I go to a private school that is rather strict. Recently, the principal and school teacher council released a (very long) list of books we're not allowed to read. I was absolutely appalled, because a large number of the books were classics and others that are my favorites. One of my personal favorites, The Catcher in the Rye, was on the list, so I decided to bring it to school to see if I would really get in trouble. Well... I did but not too much. Then (surprise!) a boy in my English class asked if he could borrow the book, because he heard it was very good AND it was banned! This happened a lot and my locker got to overflowing with the banned books, so I decided to put the unoccupied locker next to me to a good use. I now have 62 books in that locker, about half of what was on the list. I took care only to bring the books with literary quality. Some of these books are:

>The Perks of Being a Wallflower

>His Dark Materials trilogy

>Sabriel

>The Canterbury Tales

>Candide

>The Divine Comedy

>Paradise Lost

>The Godfather

>Mort

>Interview with the Vampire

>The Hunger Games

>The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

>Animal Farm

>The Witches

>Shade's Children

>The Evolution of Man

> the Holy Qu'ran

... and lots more.

Anyway, I now operate a little mini-library that no one has access to but myself. Practically a real library, because I keep an inventory log and give people due dates and everything. I would be in so much trouble if I got caught, but I think it's the right thing to do because before I started, almost no kid at school but myself took an active interest in reading! Now not only are all the kids reading the banned books, but go out of their way to read anything they can get their hands on. So I'm doing a good thing, right? Oh, and since you're probably wondering Why can't you just go to a local library and check out the books? most of the kids are too chicken or their parents won't let them but the books. I think that people should have open minds. Most of the books were banned because they contained information that opposed Catholisism. I limit my 'library' to only the sophmores, juniors and seniors just in case so you can't say I'm exposing young people to materiel they're not mature enough for. But is what I'm doing wrong because parents and teachers don't know about it and might not like it, or is it a good thing because I am starting appreciation of the classics and truly good novels (Not just fad novels like Twilight) in my generation?

Favorite Answer

look i agree books like catcher in the rye and others you listed should be available for all to read. but im sorry i don't mean to pick on you but illegal library? lol i can see it now you in jail with bank robbers, murders, people in for deadly assault and you wildman with your illegal library lol it's funny.

Wow, just saw this on tumblr, and I'm shocked your school was so strict. I went to a Catholic high school and we read Marquez' 100 Years of Solitude (tons of sex, often of the incest variety - but it's a really beautiful book all the same), Georges' Ficciones, and Plath's The Bell Jar as part of the English CURRICULUM. That's just to name a few that I would like are legions more controversial than the Hunger Games. We also had all of the Harry Potter books in our school library. There's no reason to be so strict.

Anyway, that's pretty awesome what you did!

I don't think it's illegal, and your school has no right to tell people what they can and cannot read. I can't stand hearing about these Catholic schools with these strict, sadistic assholes for administrators. God forbid, a book says something negative about Catholicism. Who gives a ****?

Do they really think they can limit your exposure to information by putting the fear of God into you? Apparently, some kids in your school are sufficiently intimidated not to go looking for real literature on their own time. This is just terrible.

(Let me guess: your teachers are also allowed to hit you, right?)

I say, continue to run your library. What are they gonna do, shoot you? This is the United States of America, not Nazi Germany, for crying out loud.

Here is another idea: start a book discussion group in your home. Tell your classmates to get a backbone and check out whatever books they want. GEEZ

OMG you're literally the best individual I unquestionably have ever met (or study from). All of those books are impressive and that i basically won't be able to see The Witches and Animal Farm are banned. they could besides permit you recognize the only factor you could watch is the information on television and nonetheless block the comments proper to the midsection East. you have graduated by ability of now i assume so did you smash out with it for something of your severe college occupation? you're are basically freaking impressive, I want you have been right here actual now so i ought to purchase you a machiatto or something from Starbucks. You bypass woman, like it is fantastic. it is unquestionably you could tell people as a narrative or something. you're freaking outstanding. I salute you and wager you're off now doing something outstanding with your existence. Congratulations! you're an theory to maximum of babies. Like whether you acquire like suspended or something (even regardless of the undeniable fact that it is not stable in any respect) a minimum of it could have been something cool and fantastic. basically... you bypass woman,:)

You stole the whole question from another user! What's the actual point in doing that??

• Raatz

I like you. It's a great idea, but it might get your *** suspended. Stand up for what you believe in.

You pretty much answered your own question. ILLEGAL library

wth???!! there just books.. its not like your sellin dope ha

theres sometin wrong wit your school

I don’t believe you.