Musicians: Would you take the time to complete my survey?

We seem to have a lot of musicians in this section, that peaks my interest into making this survey for our R&P users who are musicians. =)

So musicians...

1. What instrument(s) do you play?

2. Were taught how to play an instrument by someone else or are you self-taught? (Answer for each specific instrument if you play more than one)

3. How long have you been a musician and what age did you start?

4. What made you want to become a musician?

5. What genre(s)/subgenre(s) of music do you play?

6. Are you in a band? (If no, skip to 12)

7. If so, what's the name of your band?

8. What type(s) of music does your band play?

9. What role do you play in your band? (guitarist, bassist, drummer, vocalist, more than one, etc.)

10. How long has your band been active?

11. Have you recorded any material or released any albums with your band?

12. If you answered "no" to 6, do you plan on joining a band or hope to become part of one in the future? (If you answered the above five band questions, skip this question)

13. Do you have any band(s), artist(s), or other musician(s) that you consider your influence(s)?

14. Have you (or your band, if you're in one) ever played publicly?

15. Do you plan on making a life-long career out of being a musician or in a band?

Thanks and have fun! ☺

• .
    Favorite Answer

1. What instrument(s) do you play? Guitar, Bass, Piano (and keyboards), and I experiment on various percussion, I do a lot of sampling and bizarre electronics.

2. Were taught how to play an instrument by someone else or are you self-taught? (Answer for each specific instrument if you play more than one) I started teaching myself guitar and bass by ear, then learned Tabs, then took one summer session at GIT in Hollywood, CA. where I then forced myself to learn sheet music, which after learning Piano was pretty easy. the others I just learned over time as I have shifted through learning different genres of music.

3. How long have you been a musician and what age did you start? A LONG TIME! 17 perhaps 18 years now, I started guitar and bass in my early teens.

4. What made you want to become a musician? I have loved music since as long as I can remember, but it was all the social chaos at school that finally motivated me to start playing via means of escape.

rather than becoming some anti social homicidal sociopath in society, or turning to drugs, and it went really well.

5. What genre(s)/subgenre(s) of music do you play? I started with metal and flamenco / classical, now I do avant-garde, experimental with many genres inclusive to that.

6. Are you in a band? (If no, skip to 12) I WAS in 3 bands since the early 90s, active until 2005, struggled to put something together myself right around the time I started coming here (YA) back in late 2007, could no longer find anyone here (my city) into really tech metal so I became my own band. since most of the bands remained underground locally and close surrounding States (US) I have done a lot of studio session guitar work, which is how I got where I am now LONG STORY!

7. If so, what's the name of your band? that really doesn't apply at this point.

I do everything now with the help of technology and using real drum samples, in the past I did most of the writing but I just played guitar then had the other band members.

10. How long has your band been active? I think I covered most that.

11. Have you recorded any material or released any albums with your band? old demos and EPs from the past that I have not listened to in years, or really have cared to share with anyone for a long time. now I have just a lot of recordings that I share when I feel comfortable but now at this point and the direction where modern day music is I keep most of my stuff between me or any other artists I involve to anyone they know. I know the work I have done the last 3 and a half years is out there via downloads and other methods. I have shared much of my work here, things have gotten out of hand sharing here, I took things personal I SHOULD NOT HAVE, I will never do it again EVER!. unless one of my contacts request it which I don't see happening any time soon.

12. my current status now is music production here at a local studio, we get a lot of clients from here of course, CA., and New Mexico.

Fates Warning, Paul Gilbert and Mr. Bungle are my primary influences.

14. Have you (or your band, if you're in one) ever played publicly? many times, and I have always hated stages, I have stage fright, and phobias playing before large groups of people which is why I only do studio work now.

15. Do you plan on making a life-long career out of being a musician or in a band? NO WAY! in fact, it's just becoming more and more of a hobby now, music production is my means of survival now.

1

Source(s): Teach Yourself to Sing http://sparkindl.info/SuperiorSingingCourse

So musicians...

1. What instrument(s) do you play?

All main Insturment (Guitar, Piano, Percussun) And Tenor Sax.

2. Were taught how to play an instrument by someone else or are you self-taught? (Piano, percussion and the tenor Saxophone was taught in school (That's the order I learned them since age 7) ) and Guitar I picked up myself

I started reading/playing music at age 7 in elementary learning piano (Also recorder but haven't used one in years)

Simply Hearing Music.

I like Jazz and Marching band on everything, Pop rock for the Piano, and Heavy Metal (Like drop down C tunings) for guitar

6. Are you in a band? (If no, skip to 12) Nope.

7. If so, what's the name of your band?

10. How long has your band been active?

12. If you answered "no" to 6, do you plan on joining a band or hope to become part of one in the future? It's more of a fantasy but really I'd like a different career

Anything that I hear has a small code for me. If I can hear the music played through in maybe an orchestra version, then I fall in love with it. (Very hard to explain)

Only for School

I'd rather keep it a long time passion, with a different but similar career

Source(s): Music Saves Souls

1.) My main instruments are guitar, piano, and fiddle. I also dabble with banjo, mandolin, harmonica, drums, and lapsteel.

2.) Piano and fiddle, I have always been taught. Guitar I started self-taught and moved on to doing more difficult stuff with a teacher. Banjo, mandolin, harmonica, drums, lapsteel, etc. are all self-taught.

3.) Started piano and five. Went on from there. As long as I can remember.

4.) My father is one. Always had a passion for music.

5.) Indie/Americana mainly. However, I can do classical, jazz, blues, any style you want.

6.) Yes.

7.) We can't agree. We change a lot. It is always The Cliche`s until we finally agree on one.

8.) Indie/Americana and Alternative

9.) Lead Guitar/Vocals, piano if we need it.

10.) About three years.

11.) Recorded material. No albums.

13.) Ryan Adams, Wilco, Andrew Bird, The Pixies, The Smiths, etc.

14.) I play solo publicly quite a bit. My band has not.

15.) Absolutely.

• Reaper

1. Guitar, Tuba, Trombone, Baritone, various percussion instruments including some that are mallet based (piano, glockenspiel, marimba etc.). However I would consider guitar my main instrument and instrument of choice. Including all those percussion instruments, I should be able to play about 20 different instruments.

2. I was taught with the Tuba (which I started in 6th grade) and I started to take lessons for guitar once I got interested in it. Everything else I taught myself.

3. I started in 6th grade (so I was 11) and have been playing for 7 years.

4. I joined concert band in 6th grade just because I had no other electives to choose from and my guitar playing (which I consider separate because that's my instrument of interest) I started as a freshmen.

5. Obviously in concert band, I play classic concert pieces, but on my guitar I write and play a lot of metal. Primarily thrash metal.

6. Not really, but I'm experimenting with a bit of solo project.

12. I would love to join a band or have one and I did two years ago but it fell apart because no one could really keep up with me and we couldn't find members.

13. Pretty much any legitimate metal artist. I listen to almost every subgenre of metal and I take a little bit of influence from everything, though primarily thrash.

14. I've played at school concerts (if that counts) but I would rather perform in a band than as a soloist.

15. Not that I wouldn't like to, but it's too difficult of a career to make a substantial income on. I would like to continue playing once I reach college though and maybe have a band on the side.

I do volcals (many types) and play guitar.

I had one year of guitar lessons when i first began, i learned a few simple chords on the acoustic guitar.

I started guitar when i was seven, played for almost twelve years.

My love for music =D

I play a few different styles, mostly metal (Black metal (most types ), Thrash, occasional Death) but i also play classical, and blues.

I recently left my band, but im working on a solo project now =P. Right now I cant say the name.

when i was playing in bands I played guitar, and volcals occasionaly.

We played thrash, and the more recent one black.

ones no longer active, and the one i left i think still is.

Recorded a few songs, nothing much.

Right now im actually looking for another band and some new muscians. Sorry I answered this because.... well i am looking for a band =P.

I have a tonnnnn of musical influences, im not going to list them all. But i will say my favorite lead guitarist is Jeff Waters.

Yes

Yes

Source(s): I can also slightly play drums and piano, but not that well because i havent put the time into them that i have for guitar.

1. I play electric guitar as my main instrument, violin, and piano. A little electric bass as well

2. Played violin in the orchestra at my prep school (middle school), taught piano, self-taught and taught by a local guitarist on the guitar.

3. Seven, so that's nine years.

4. I saw my dad's Eric Clapton DVD's and knew I had to play guitar.

5. Hard rock, classic metal, thrash metal, jazz, classical, blues.

6. Kind of. Just broke up.

7. Spring Heeled Jack (after the Victorian London demon mass panic. Wiki it)

8. Hard Rock, classic metal

9. Lead guitarist

10. Ummm.....a year.

11. Recorded ten songs in our recording class at school on ProTools.

13. Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Deep Purple, Stone, Alice Cooper, and Led Zeppelin

14. Backyard parties locally

15. Yes. I intend to apply to Berklee College Of Music in Boston and get a degree there once I'm out of high school. This is to fulfill my family's college requirement and to enrich my musical palette. I also plan on forming a band that tours, releases albums, etc. using my education received there.

1. Piano, Vocalist, Guitar, Drums (in that order

2. Self Taught

3. Musician for 11 years, started at age 6

4. Love music.

5.

Piano - Classical

Vocalist - Any

Guitar - Metal

Drums - Metal

6. Im in two bands.

7. Against all odds and breaking silence

8. Post hardcore and alternative metal, respectively.

Lead Guitar and vocalist for both

10.8 months and 1 month

11.Not yet

12.Omit

13. August Burns Red, Nirvana, Texas In July, Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin

14. A couple local gigs with AAO

15. Maybe Life-long hobby, career if im making bank

• 1. Piano ('keyboards' I suppose would be applicable as well) and guitar (sort of...). It's really a big 'sort of' with both. I can read sheet music for piano, poorly, and I need to learn more about chords and scales...or I need to learn more chords and scales, period.

2. I'm...not self-taught.

3. I started with the piano at age six, and I've been fooling around with the guitar since I was fourteen.

4. Nothing in particular, really. I think it was my parents' idea.

5. None in particular. Pop, I guess? Classical, sometimes?

6. Not a 'band', exactly, but I'm working on a few projects.

7. Well, I am working to create this big town-wide collective of weird people who want to make music regardless of whether they play an instrument or not. I call it 'There's Room in This World for a Renaissance Man'.

8. Like I said, it really hasn't been formed yet, it's more of a loose little idea. I was thinking chamber music, or something.

9. Well, I've arranged certain songs, I guess...and I'd like to try my hand at writing one of these days.

10. It hasn't been yet.

11. Nope.

12. Like I said....

13. Klaus Nomi, I've been enjoying a bit of Philip Glass recently, I've always wanted to make music in that vein, Kraftwerk, other electronic/pop artists.

14. No. That could be an interesting experience, though....

15. Lawl, in my dreams.

1. Guitar, Bass, Drums, trying to sing

2. Guitar - mostly self taught but attended a beginner's lesson one year in. Bass self taught, drums - attended one lesson with an awesome jazz drummer

3. About three years now, started at 15

4. So I could play the songs from Guitar Hero III on real guitar :P

5. Oldschool Heavy Metal.

12. I want to be a part of one, and hopefully I'll find the right people in college.

13. Voivod, Death, Raven, Venom, La Dispute, Watchtower, Rush, Nokturnal Mortum, Warfare, Chuck Berry, Diamond Head, Loudness, Destruction and *Metallica*

14. Noep.

15. If the opportunity presents itself, then I shall go.