Private Pilot License and Instrument Ratings?

If you can get a private pilot license without an intsrument rating then what are all the reasons for getting the instrument ratings?

Update:

Thanks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

to be able to fly in instrument conditions, i.e. lousy weather. i just cancelled a flight because the weather was below vfr minima. i've landed - once - under special vfr. yikes! :-(

my next step, post-ppl, is a night rating. the cfi (which means something different in canada) is encouraging me to do a commercial license then an instructor rating, because he thinks i'd make an excellent flight instructor. i like the idea of better flying with more in-depth knowledge, so i may do a commercial license anyway, for the hell of it.

• John R
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Without an instrument rating, you are limited to VFR flying in reasonably decent weather. If you plan to use the pilots license to travel, you will want an instrument rating. Most of the time it's impossible to fly more than a couple of hundred miles without running into some type of weather system.

Before I got my instrument ticket at least a half dozen weekend overnights ended up stretching into Monday while I sat waiting for the clouds to lift! Unless you really have no fixed schedule, you can not reliably use VFR for travel. One of the most common causes of fatal accidents in light aircraft is VFR flight being attempted in IFR conditions, and I'd bet most of those were people trying to make it home when they should have waited it out on the ground. Getting home a day or 2 late is better than not getting home at all.

If you only want to do local pleasure flying and the occasional $100 hamburger, you do not need an instrument rating. That's assuming you have the good sense to know that at times it's better to be on ground, wishing you were flying, than to be in the air, praying you make it to the ground!

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

An instrument rating is the next logical step up from the basic private certificate. It helps hone your piloting skills, and some people think it makes you a better and safer pilot.

It definitely allows you to fly in weather conditions that would force a "VFR only" pilot to sit at home and watch the weather out of the living room window instead of flying away to warmer runways.

• 9 years ago

An Instrument rating is not a requirement for a private pilot licence... not even a commercial pilot licence.

Reasons to get your Instrument rating:

Not limited to flying on good days only

Increase your confidence in flying, espicially after being exposed to real IFR conditions.

Employment... should you get your CPL.. Employers would prefer instrument rated pilots over non-rated

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Aside from being able to fly in instrument weather conditions, and generally making you a safer and more skilled pilot, you qualify for cheaper insurance if you own an airplane.

• Brett
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

you will not be allowed to fly in bad weather conditions. by the way dont even consider not getting it. SAFETY FIRST dude. Thats how JFK jr. died. he couldnt fly using just the instruments on his plane. He couldnt fly during the night time.

• 9 years ago

You need one to legally fly in bad weather when conditions are below the minimum. Also Many major airports require a rating for landing privileges.

• bob
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

If you need to fly in low visibility or on an IFR flight plan. It is also a good challenge if your up for it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.