Linux Operating Systems?

which Linux Operating System do you recommend me to use for my "Sony VAIO" laptop?

Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, or openSUSE

Favorite Answer

I thoroughly recommend Linux Mint 11 which is built upon Ubuntu 11.04 but more stable. Its easy to install and easy to use plus they comes with much of the software you are likely to need preinstalled

Linux Mint 11 Download

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=81

Linux Mint Installation Guide

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2009/12/03/linux-mint-8-...

Linux Mint 11 Release Notes/User Guide

http://linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php

You download the ISO. image of Linux Mint 11 then you need to create a Bootable LiveDVD for installation

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Linux Mint 11 can also be run straight from the LiveDVD from Boot without touching your Hard Drive

LUg.

People will always tell you about the only one they know about. which is Ubuntu, they have never used any other Linux distribution. I on the other hand download and test every Linux distribution there is, Ubuntu is far from being the bast

Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, and openSUSE are Commercial controlled distributions. I tend to tell new users to stay away from the commercial distributions and stick with the community releases because they work out of the box where as the commercial distribution need to be set up when it comes to the 3D desktops

The greatest problem with Linux is there are to many distribution, and some communities are releasing to many different types of desktops versions like Fluxbox, GNOME, KDE, LXDE, Xfce which is confusing to new users. Then is comes down to what you want to do with your computer, and if your computer will run that distribution.

If you have a decent computer with a reasonable good 3D graphics card then would recommend Linux Ultimate Edition 2.9 that's mind blowing 3D graphic all set up for the user If you want a fast computer with then I would recommend Pardus 2011.1 then there are others Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS , Pinguy, Fusion Knopix the choice is plentiful and you can download them from here

http://distrowatch.com

Another vote for Ubuntu, it's the perfect distro for a new or experienced Linux user. It has by far the biggest support base out there. Debian can be challenging for new users. I'm personally not a fan of Mandriva or openSUSE. But they have there followers too.

As far as the guy who has run "every distro out there". No he hasn't. There's no need. You've got a couple core distros and the rest are just spin-offs tweaked different ways for different purposes. The fact there's so many choices and some many desktop environments is what makes Linux great, NOT a problem.

Source(s): I've run Linux as my main OS for over 10 years.

Ubuntu, Mandriva, and openSUSE are the easiest to use on that list. Fedora and Debian both require a little user know how. But ultimately it depends on what YOU personally want to use.

Source(s): been running Linux for 6 years & have tried all the major distributions, currently running Fedora 15
  • Nancy

I think the other responders have answered your questions, I want to let you know about a new super easy way to install Ubuntu. See the link below. You do not have to burn a cd. You simply download a file called wubi (Windows UBuntu Installer) and run it. It will download the ubuntu system and install it on your system. If you want to remove it you use windows Add Remove feature to completely remove it. Be sure to read the FAQ. The second link is where you donwload wubi. The third and fourth links will help you do things in ubuntu. The way you get something done in linux is not the same as in windows so to have a pleasant experience it is necessary to read the tutorials and instructions. Have fun

Is it your first linux experience? If so, Ubuntu. There is a lot of information out there for Ubuntu users and they have a very large community. It's very easy for most beginners because it's put together with all of the things windows users are used to having.

• Nathan

my Sony VAIO (nearly 5 years old) is running LinuxMint 9 LTS.

it's a great distro that just works. haven't had any problems with it (except for things that I did wrong that required a reinstall - but not the fault of the OS.)

everything worked right from the start, including wireless.

Depends on your experience and the specs of the laptop.

If the computer is modern and you are new to Linux you may want to try one of these out:

PCLinuxOS

Linux Mint

Ubuntu is d most common so use it.