J asked in TravelUnited StatesCleveland · 9 years ago

What's it like to live in Ohio?

I really want to movie to Ohio when I get older. I have no idea why because I don't know anything about the state! What's it like?

Favorite Answer

Ohio's people are diverse, living both in rural areas and great cities. One thing that I've learned is that many Ohioans know relatively little about other parts of the state!

Among its major cities, Columbus is the state capital and the headquarter city for great insurance and retail corporations, Cincinnati remains the home of great corporations such as Procter & Gamble, and Cleveland is one of the nation's great cultural and medical centers.

Ohio's manufacturing jobs have been in decline for decades, but it remains one of the nation's great agricultural states.

One commonality in Ohio is a love of sports, especially football. Unlike in most states, Ohio State's Buckeyes are beloved by most Ohioans, even if they follow the sports teams of other universities. Yet sports loyalties for major league baseball and football are divided between Cleveland, Cincinnati and even Pittsburgh (in far eastern Ohio).

Ohio also has relatively excellent libraries and park systems compared with many states. Ohio's metroparks (county nature preserves) are somewhat unique in their size and community support.

The quality of public schools vary greatly from city to city. Ohio possesses many universities, with Case Western in Cleveland and The Ohio State University in Columbus the highest ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Ohio also possesses a large number of liberal arts colleges; Oberlin College west of Cleveland is especially renown for its music conservatory and jazz studies and as a bastion of liberal thought and action. It was the first U.S. college regularly to admit African Americans as one of the great centers of abolitionism, and is the oldest continuously operating coeducational college in the U.S. It was an early champion of coed dormitories and now heavily emphasizes environmental sustainability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberlin_College

The Church of Latter Day Saints essentially was organized in Kirtland, east of Cleveland, where the Kirtland Temple was the first Mormon Temple and is now open to the public.

Northern Ohio politically is more liberal while southern Ohio is more conservative.

Ohio has four distinct seasons of weather. Snowfall is much more pronounced in the northern part of the state, especially east of Cleveland, due to "lake effect" snow resulting from moisture lifted by weather systems from Lake Erie and Lake Huron before they are covered with ice. Lake Erie cools northern Ohio in the spring and early summer, and warms the region in the fall, a favorite season for many Ohioans, perhaps partially because it is football season.

Cleveland has several leading cultural institutions, including the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world. Severance Hall and Blossom Music Center are the orchestra's world-class performance venues. The Cleveland Museum of Art, which offers free admission, is the best in Ohio and one of the best in the nation. Cleveland's Playhouse Square is the second largest theater complex in the U.S. after Lincoln Center in New York City. Cleveland also is the home of the world renown Cleveland Clinic.

Cincinnati, Toledo, and Dayton also have superb art museums.

The Columbus Zoo often is ranked among the nation's best, and Cincinnati, Cleveland and Toledo also have very good zoos.

Ohio's top tourist attractions include Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, located in Sandusky on Lake Erie in northwest Ohio, one hour west of downtown Cleveland; the Lake Erie islands, including Put-in-Bay, the "Key West of the North Coast," which can be reached from Sandusky by ferry; Ohio Amish country which contains the world's largest Amish community and centered in Holmes County, two hours southeast of downtown Cleveland; the Hocking Hills, over an hour southeast of Columbus; the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in downtown Cleveland; and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

Dayton is the aviation history mecca of the world with both the superb U.S. Air Force National Museum, also with free admission, and the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, which features the world's first airplane, housed at Carillon Historical Park, and Huffman Prairie Flying Field, where the Wright brothers perfected controlled powered flight and first flew their invention.

Ohio is great for many, many reasons. The guy that gave the really long answer was right about a lot. So let me reiterate. If you want to live anywhere in Ohio, try the Cleveland Metro area. Now, I'm sure you've heard "oh Cleveland is dirty and crime-ridden" and "The Mistake by the Lake." And though its easy to drive into Cleveland and judge it and say oh look its sucks so bad. Below the surface, Cleveland is a truly beautiful city with more culture, history, activities, and pride than any other place in Ohio, you just need to know where to look. Nobody loves their city more than Clevelanders do Cleveland. The best thing about Cleveland is that it has everything within a 45 minute drive: Lively downtown, any kind of pro-sports team you want, ghettos, extremely rich areas, average suburbias, historic small towns, Amish farms, agriculture, a Lake, rivers, the best libraries, nationally ranked park systems, etc. Ohio as a whole really is like this, but I feel Cleveland exemplifies it best. The best thing about Ohio is that its not perfect. Its not all rich and safe and progressive. It has all that but then down the street theres murder-ridden ghettos and hills filled with wannabe-rednecks. But the great thing about it is, you don't live life here with an ego that your state is the richest or most successful or whatever. There's no facade of decadence. In Ohio, it is what it is, and what it is is reality. And boy is it beautiful deep down!

1

Source(s): All Record Search Database : http://AnyRecords.oruty.com/?Bjh

Living In Ohio

= I lived in Ohio most of my life and I have family all over the state.

Ohio is a very big state. It has everything from cornfields to coal mines to big cities.

A lot of it is rural. If you are interested in small town America it can certainly be found. I do not like small towns much so i can not recommend any espescially nice ones.

There are many medium to large cities as well. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus all have a very urban feel to them. Places like Toledo, Dayton, and Akron are a little more cozy but still urban.

Cincinnati is my favorite city in Ohio. It is a beautiful city with a lot of quality museums and cultural institutions. Cleveland is nice too. I am not such a big fan of Columbus. A lot newer growth than Cincinnati and Cleveland. There are a lot of fun things to do in Columbus though.

In My opinion Southern Ohio is prettier in general. Northern Ohio is flat and cold. Southern Ohio is hilly and slightly warmer.

Anyway, I think Ohio is great. Best place to live or visit in the midwest with the exception of Chicago.

• Debra

Born in CBus and grew up in Dayton Area. Say what you want, Ohio is home and outside of the crappy winter weather, it's awesome here. Ohio is the one state most like its own country. The European settlers here created this state to most resemble a European country. So much diversity here and we have the Best Damn Band In The Land!! Neil Armstrong, Steven Spielberg, seven presidents, John Glenn, etc are all from Ohio. Go Bucks!!!!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's it like to live in Ohio?

Source(s): 39 live ohio: https://shortly.im/Puntd

It's very Ohio-ish!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avg7o

not anymore but lived in Canton for 20 years and Dayton area for 3 years

• cipher

It's pretty I suppose, but the southern part of the state is filled with hicks and the northern cities are just a bunch of urban waste lands.