Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

What's your favorite/the most interesting first chapter opening sentence for you?

I've been interested in first sentences lately, and i've been pulling down (pulling up, actually, my shelf is really low) books from the shelf and reading it's first sentence only.

I also realized that Anne of Green Gables' first paragraph is only one sentence. It's not a short paragraph, either, but it works well enough. Anyway, not relevant.

Other question: Why does all the people asking for stuff/critique here seem to be thirteen??

Other question (i really don't want to call them BQs, haha): can you give me two names starting with 'H' and 'S'??

Favorite Answer

There are so many, but my favorite would have to be Orwell's:

"It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen."

From 1984

-There are plenty of older users on this site. I think the PLZ CRITIQUE Q's from the 13 year olds are just more noticeable than the "Your Opinion On This..." sort of Q's

-Hogan, Harper, Serena, Shawn

i do no longer truthfully be attentive to. i'm the only human individual who's acquainted with precisely what my existence has thusfar been. i won't decide no rely if that's exciting adequate for all people else to locate exciting. I even tend to think of, needless to say, that theire isn't something in my existence nicely worth spit, no longer to point interest to everybody-- alongside with me lots of the time! i could desire to think of the terrific area is to return. That my existence gets to that place while i'm going to be proud to declare "Elizabeth grow to be right here!" yet a huge area of me doubts which will ever ensue.

1984, I believe has one of the most unique book openings. I would check it out.

Names with a database that can be search by the first letter of a name: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

" It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." --Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.