What's another way to say "glance quickly"?

I'm writing a book, and I brought an excerpt of it to a writing camp. Here's the sentence:

"The shower stops and I glance quickly at the door, then slip into a corner of the room."

The camp instructor says I should use a stronger verb, rather than say "glance quickly" but I can't think of a word that means the same thing. Ideas?

Favorite Answer

Really, saying "glance quickly" is redundant. To glance means to look at something quickly, so virtually you're saying "to quickly look at the door quickly."

You could leave "glance" in the sentence and just take out "quickly." Personally, I think that's the best way to write the sentence. However, some verbs you could try in place of "glance" are: glimpse, view, etc. (Just grab a thesaurus or go to thesaurus.com to find more synonyms.)

Glance At Quickly

The 'quickly' doesn't need to be there. A glance is a quick look, so to say 'I looked quickly quickly' is painfully redundant. 'Glance' is fine, imo. You could say 'I shot a glance at the door' or 'my eyes flicked/ darted to the door'. Although, in first person I think to say 'I saw', 'I heard' etc is a bit clumsy. Try just describing why the character looked at the door, or what they saw - was the doorknob rattling? Had nothing changed?

The shower stops and my eyes flicked towards the door before they slid to the corner of the room.

Eh. I think I write differently. Helpful?

And I think "slid" is better than "slip."

"The shower stops and I peek at the door, then slip into a corner of the room."

"The shower stops, and my gaze flits over to the door. Then, I slip into a corner of the room."

That's another way to write it.

"I catch a glimpse of the door," or "I steal a glance at the door" :) I hope that helped! Good luck with your book! And I don't usually do this, but can you please answer mine? I'm just desperate for answers... its the one about zombie titles and you can find it on my account please answer it! ...if you want to :P

"took a glimpse at the door"?

gaze fleetingly

• Anthem

IDK, glance briefly? I like it the way it is and wouldn't change it.