What's another way to say "glance quickly"?

I'm writing a book, and I brought an excerpt of it to a writing camp. Here's the sentence:

"The shower stops and I glance quickly at the door, then slip into a corner of the room."

The camp instructor says I should use a stronger verb, rather than say "glance quickly" but I can't think of a word that means the same thing. Ideas?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Really, saying "glance quickly" is redundant. To glance means to look at something quickly, so virtually you're saying "to quickly look at the door quickly."

You could leave "glance" in the sentence and just take out "quickly." Personally, I think that's the best way to write the sentence. However, some verbs you could try in place of "glance" are: glimpse, view, etc. (Just grab a thesaurus or go to thesaurus.com to find more synonyms.)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Glance At Quickly

• 9 years ago

The 'quickly' doesn't need to be there. A glance is a quick look, so to say 'I looked quickly quickly' is painfully redundant. 'Glance' is fine, imo. You could say 'I shot a glance at the door' or 'my eyes flicked/ darted to the door'. Although, in first person I think to say 'I saw', 'I heard' etc is a bit clumsy. Try just describing why the character looked at the door, or what they saw - was the doorknob rattling? Had nothing changed?

• 9 years ago

The shower stops and my eyes flicked towards the door before they slid to the corner of the room.

Eh. I think I write differently. Helpful?

And I think "slid" is better than "slip."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

"The shower stops and I peek at the door, then slip into a corner of the room."

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

"The shower stops, and my gaze flits over to the door. Then, I slip into a corner of the room."

That's another way to write it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

"I catch a glimpse of the door," or "I steal a glance at the door" :) I hope that helped! Good luck with your book! And I don't usually do this, but can you please answer mine? I'm just desperate for answers... its the one about zombie titles and you can find it on my account please answer it! ...if you want to :P

• 9 years ago

"took a glimpse at the door"?

• 9 years ago

gaze fleetingly

• Anthem
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

IDK, glance briefly? I like it the way it is and wouldn't change it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.