What religions still practice self-flatulation?

• papaw
    Favorite Answer

Flatulation??? Farting??? I think you've used the wrong word; I think you mean 'flagellation'

During the middle ages, when the Bubonic plague was killing so many people, a group of individuals known as flagellants emerged whose aim was to dispel fear of the clergy. The flagellants placed blame on Gods wrath, and insisted that it was the sins of men and women that compelled God to punish them. The efforts of the flagellants began in Perugia and Central Italy in 1260, and their message soon spread north to other parts of Europe.

The Flagellation refers in a Christian context to the Flagellation of Christ, an episode in the Passion of Christ prior to the Jesus' crucifixion. The practice of mortification of the flesh for religious purposes was utilized by some Christians throughout most of Christian history, especially in Catholic monasteries and convents.

In the 13th century, a radical group of Christians, known as the Flagellants, took this practice to an extreme. The Flagellants were later condemned by the Catholic Church as a cult in the 14th century. Self-flagellation remains common in the Philippines and Latin America.

Some members of strict monastic orders, and some members of the lay organization Opus Dei, practice mild self-flagellation using an instrument called a "discipline", a cattail whip usually made of knotted cords, which is flung over the shoulders repeatedly during private prayer. The practice has become rare within the Catholic Church

In the Islam religion, flagellation is a form of punishment used in certain cases under Islamic Sharia law. In Islam, lashes for punishment are to be performed with a book under one arm to minimize the swing, are not supposed to leave permanent scars, and when the number of lashes is high, are frequently done in batches to minimize risk of harm.

In some Shi'ite communities worldwide, Shi'ites march in massive parades while flogging themselves on the back with knives, blades and chains every year to commemorate the martyrdom of Hussein. This happens in many countries of the world including India, Pakistan, Iraq and Lebanon. In Iran there is an unannounced ban on the use of knives and sharp blades for Mätam or flagellation but chains can be used. In hard-line Salafi countries like Saudi Arabia these practices are strictly forbidden in every form, which, by many Shi'ites is considered a severe violation of Human Rights and religious freedom.

Hope this helps.

Papaw

1

Source(s): All Natural Flatulence Solution : http://FlatulenceCure.ohfos.com/?MUa

Flatulate

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): religions practice flatulation: https://shortly.im/9nbof
  • Urban Dictionary says that self-flatulation is: "The act of farting in bed and pulling the covers over your head to see if you can gag yourself. A form of self-mutilation but limited to nasal passages."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sel...

To my knowledge no religions have ever practiced this. I'm going to assume you meant self-flagellation. Its still practiced today by some peculiar modern Catholics and by Shiite men. Its likely done by at least some mystics of many various religions, but I don't know that there is any one religion in which it is a truly common practice.

Actually, I kind of like self-flatulation. Seems like some religions master this!

I've never heard of any of those so no. I don't know if ur serious or if ur trying to criticize ROman Catholics because I honestly do not know what ur talking about :-) O ok, SOme may, but most don't. I think sometime around the black death they did because they believed the black death was a punishment from God and they wanted to do penance in a physical way. yea, the flatulation part is what threw me off.

The ones that eat lots of cabbage and beans?

Of course, you'd either have to get new converts all the time, or stop eating the high fibre diet for a while or you'd get enough bacteria in your gut to break things down and the 'flatulation' would stop...

If I have flatulated in public I will flagellate in private.

Flagellation, I hope you mean? (Go to a dictionary and look up the word "flatulation," and you'll likely chortle at what you wrote here as well.)