Paul Williams vs. Erislandy Lara judges suspended! Your thoughts?

http://www.boxingscene.com/paul-williams-vs-erisla...

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&i...

This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

BoxingScene.com has received a copy of a letter dated July 13, 2011, from Aaron Davis, the commissioner of the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, advising promoters Dan Goossen and Golden Boy Promotions, that all three judges from last Saturday's junior middleweight bout, involving Paul Williams and Erislandy Lara, have been indefinitely suspended.

Citing concerns over their scoring, Davis informed the promoters that his agency placed judges Al Bennett, Hilton Whitaker and Don Givens on suspension and all three will require additional training upon returning to boxing. After what appeared to be a dominating victory for Lara, the three judges scored a majority decision win for Williams, with scores of 116-114 (Givens), 115-114 (Whitaker) and 114-114 (Bennett). HBO had the fight scored 117-111 for Lara, as did BoxingScene.com.

David also noted that his agency found no evidence of corruption, but he did admit that his agency "did not provide our best officiating on July 9.”

I think they should have taken it a step further, and banned them for life.

Your thoughts?

Update:

@Richard - LOL!

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

I have two thoughts on their suspension:

1. Those guys are being made scapegoats by Jersey. What about commission accountability?

2. Fans sell themselves cheap way too often! Judging by responses the Jersey commissioner should be nominated for a Nobel prize despite doing absolutely nothing other than tossing people under the bus. Here's a novel idea, show some freaking leadership and solve the freaking problem! Hold a press conference and say the New Jersey commission will completely change its system for judges and become the world leader within three years, here's how.

• What's the man's name the person who is a interpreter or an adviser for Sergio

"Maravilla" Martinez I'm going to quote him "and yet another travesty in boxing."

We have seen some horrible calls in the judges decisions in the past the Jose

Armando Santa-Cruz-Joel Casamayor fight, Juan Diaz-Paulie Malignaggi 1, the

fight last Saturday night was just ridiculous we could of seen two top prospects

rise up to the occasion and get two high profile wins well one did on Showtime

Carlos Molina defeated Kermit Cintron and Erislandry Lara he just got robbed of

a decision. And this is no disrespect to Paul "The Punisher" Williams who just

made his return he's a world class fighter however, he didn't deserve a decision

in that fight, it should of been the other way around. Roy Jones Jr. did say that

the only way Paul Williams could improve is if he changes trainers if Paul hired

someone like Trainer Naazim Richardson well then, he could really help Paul to

get back into world title contention, we'll see what happens though in the future.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjJiW...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ar5x5...

Source(s): Jose what's up bro answer my questions too please when you get a chance.
  • 8 years ago

That type of judging kept Sven Ottke unbeaten throughout his career. A long judging career in Germany is probably on the cards for these 3 on the basis of that judging.Don King perhaps could get them jobs judging Devon Alexanders fights in St Louis if they dont want to move to Europe.lol

Joking aside when judges score a fight so differently to the vast majority of people you have to question whats happened. Wether or not its from being bribed makes no difference,if you get bribed and fix a fight you are a corrupt judge and should be fired, if you just cannot read a fight properly then you shouldnt be a judge in the first place.Its all very well making mistakes from the safety of the judges table but there are two guys in front of you risking life and limb and they deserve better.

• 8 years ago

There has been worse decisions before the Paul Williams vs. Erislandy Lara fight and there will be worst ones after, this is not even close to the worst broad casted decision and still I am not saying that it was good either.....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Well, suspending the judges means they clearly believe the judges scored the fight wrong, so that means the victory for Paul Williams was wrong. Therefore they are justified in turning the outcome to a NC right?

I dont get why the judges get suspended but their decision holds

Either way, they should have a rematch with proper judges this time.

• 8 years ago

As far as them getting "additional training", exactly what kind of training do boxing judges get in the first place?

Also, is this only for New Jersey? I hate to think they'd be able to pack up and take their act on the road someplace.

• Maggie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Paul Williams has all the potential in the world. He just isn't showing it IMO and just might fight himself out of the competition if he doesn't get focused soon. Still think he's got it.

• H T
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Finally a great news for boxing, these judges committed a crime by robbing Lara and must pay for that, this should be a lesson for every judge who robs a fighter of a hard earned victory.

• 8 years ago

The training should consist of a heavy wooden cross, a large cauldron of boiling oil, and initiation as a eunuch. Once they've passed this test, a cyanide capsule must be surgically inserted in their stomach, programmed to burst when they do something dishonest.

• 8 years ago

They should be fired or banned for those scorecards. At least the commission did something and acknowledged the terrible decision, but it doesn't take away the undeserving loss on Lara's record.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.