Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesDetroit · 9 years ago

Good areas to live around Detroit?

Looks like I have to relocate from Atlanta to Detroit in the next several months. I know NOTHING about Detroit. Where is a safe, decent, and reasonably priced place to live? What do I need to know about living in Detroit?

I will take suggestions for a good suburb/ outside the city area as well...

Favorite Answer

Detroit is in Wayne County - I wouldn't live anywhere in Wayne County besides Northville or Plymouth - but both suburbs are pretty pricey and I don't care for the Plymouth Canton school set up (three high schools in same campus).

Macomb County is to the north - north east of the city - Stereotype is very blue collar - Lots of good deals on smaller, older (50 +) houses. Relatively safe, but not much nightlife, until you get up to Mt. Clemens, then you lose some safety.

Oakland County is to the north - northwest of the city - Sterotype is money - Lots of money - One of the richest counties in the nation, although the recession hit all areas of Michigan hard. Curtis has it right - if you want the young nightlife, stick to Royal Oak, Ferndale or Birmingham in Oakland County. If you have a family and have to consider schools, Northville, Novi, Birmingham/Bloomfield, Farmington HIlls and West Bloomfield are among the best (F. Hills is a good district - it is not "average" - an average school district would be one with an ACT score around 19, like Clawson at 18.9). However, most of these places are very bedroomish - not good if you're single and want some action.

Contrary to everyone's sterotypes, there are nice places to live in the city. There are apts and lofts downtown with good security and good prices. However, living in that city can be a pain - there are no grocery stores to run out to, no gas stations, no 7-11. Plenty of things to see and do, though, especially in the summer. Ball games, festivals, etc.

I would say the cheapest, safest, most interesting place to live in Oakland County would be Ferndale or Clawson, as they are both close to Royal Oak and Birmingham, but cheaper, or Farmington Hills. F. Hills has some nightlife, is an easy drive to downtown, is cheap, has plenty of housing options, is relatively safe, is diverse, is close to malls and hospitals, and has everything you need.

My condolences. You'll miss Atlanta come winter.

I live in Sterling Heights and that's about as close to Detroit I can stand. If you're into nightlife, consider Royal Oak or Ferndale. As a general rule, stay as far north or as far west of the city as you can.

Macomb County is cheaper than Oakland County, generally speaking.

Northville suburb is good...excellent school district. Novi suburb is good....again excellent school district. Farmington hills suburb is good....Average school district. Westbloomfield /bloomfield hill is good....excellent schools and mostly rich people living.

Ann Arbor the best for everything...Guess it takes around 45 mins to Detroit downtown.

Farmington hills is a very nice city, you'll find every business and everything is very close.

Northville...not everything is very close as compared to farmington hills. But people move there for the school system.

There really is no good place to live in Detroit, your best bet is to live in the far suburbs and commute.

They have some of the best suburbs in the country. I highly suggest those.

i dont know. why dont you talk to a real estate agent? but its bad there. its in the top 5 most dangerous cities in the country. but who knows a good place to live there, i can imagine the prices of decent homes are through the roof considering how much that city got hit.

Source(s): me!

Well harperwoods eastpoint are too good quiet places and you can visit downtown soo beutyfull don't move to 7mile trust me

• Jimmer

Here are the essentials:

-There are gangs everywhere

-There are drug dealers everywhere

-They is crime everywhere

-There is pollution and traffic everywhere

-There are crappy sports teams, with the exception of MSU, everywhere

8 mile road is always good