Rotten Rotts asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Good Morning Dog Section?

For those of you that have working dogs and actually work the dogs. Do they still herd or hunt or do agility or things like that in extreme heat.

What do the people that keep their dogs in outside kennels do to keep their dogs cool in this heat?

Lets not have a thumbs down fest for everyone that keeps their dogs outside

Best Answer

Yes, I actually work my dog daily but, he does not hunt or herd, just work in this gross, disgusting heat down here. It was 83 this morning at 4AM coming to work, its 92 now and it will be in triple digits when I get off around 2-3PM.

Yes, he still has to work, just like I do, heat or cold, rain or whatever. I used to keep him in the car til 3 years a go to keep him cool but decided that he was getting over heated too quick when working because he was not acclimated, so, now he sits outside in the heat.

The only thing I worry about is the lack of shade up here, there is no where to hide from the sun and when we search inside a metal warehouse which is the only type around here. The temps in there can reach 130 very fast and I refuse to have us in there for more then 1 minute, things have to be brought out dockside.

Yes, many dogs live outside in this heat, they acclimate and have no problems as long as they have water and shade. Hope I helped.

Source(s): Realist
  • Chix

I spent last week canoeing with the dogs - we paddled about 4 hours a day in whatever weather - I suppose I did all the work but the dogs were out in it all day either out on the lake or on land in the bush.

The Doberman dealt with the rain (about 1 hour steady while I canoed) and the GSD (Black) had to deal with the horse and deer flies in the bush.

I have to say - there is no doubt in my mind the black coloured dogs do fare worse both with heat and bugs. The Doberman has no coat and yet she stayed outside all day in the bush and the bugs didn't really bother her -nor did the heat. The Black GSD was miserable from around 12 noon to 6 pm - the deer and horse flies bite hardest during the hot sunny afternoon.

The Black GSD spent a lot of time in the tent in the shade :-)

My old GSD is red/black and heat and bugs just don't bother him - never did. He can also tolerate smoke from a campfire without complaint - he seems impervious to these things.

I have always believed in working a dog in whatever weather - but like humans, they must acclimate and a dog never exposed to extremes isn't a candidate for long exposure. I also would water a dog just like a human. I'm sure some dogs do better than others and it is partly genetic.

Years ago we trained in any weather all year round - now, my dogs lives are pretty tame in comparison.

• I have coated dogs- A Rough Collie and two Pomeranians.

I am very careful when entered in a trial as to the temperatures AND the humidity.

I live in Southern California and typically we do not have humidity.

Over fourth of July weekend we did have terrible humidity and I had an agility trial that weekend.

In addition to my Cool pads (by soothe soft) I also purchased a Ryobi portable fan- WHICH is all the rage at Agility trials. They are much bigger then those crate fans, and run off rechargable batteries that are easily recharged in the car. http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/life...

I wound up not needing the fan though as the venue wound up being a lot cooler then other places in So Cal that weekend- 30 degrees cooler, but have it for future use.

On a bragging note I will add that my Pomeranian titled 3 for 3 in Open Jumpers with weaves that weekend as well!!!

I do not enter trials in the summer that are in venues known to be really hot. The agility venue I went to over the 4th is near the ocean which is expected to always be cooler.

I do not work my dogs if I think it is too hot.

The classes I attend are always in the evening.

Up until recently I had three dogs that lived outdoors (they all recently passed over a period of 5 months to various old age issues), we get a lovely breeze here every afternoon and the dogs always are provided with shade and a kiddie pool.

They always did fine in the heat.

I have a working breed but she doesn't work...

She stays outside all the time though.

I can't do ANYTHING with her during the heat, she just zonks out. When its cold she is energetic but get a bit of sun shining on that dog and she is sleeping.

I keep my dog cool by making sure she has cold water. She always has shade, there are four 40-50 ft tall trees in her pen.

And when its really hot I just walk for 2 minutes and bring her to the lake so she can swim.

• Remdog

I have to be VERY careful with Remi. He will not gauge his own temperature, and WILL NOT stop if he's too hot. Anything over 80 can become dangerous quickly for a lab. They are cold weather dogs, and have so much drive that they will run themselves to death.

A labrador in competition died a few years ago (in April, i think?) in slightly hot weather from overheating. This was a well-cared-for dog, with judges and enthusiasts all around. It was upper 70s with high humidity, and they simply could not get the dog's temperature down. It was really tragic.

Here's a helpful article that always gets passed around this time of year:

http://www.oes.org/page2/29982~Avoiding_Heat_Relat...

Add: Really depends on the breed. Some acclimate, some just can't. Labradors are notorious for overdoing it in the heat- they are not meant for it and don't seem to know it.

• Jess38

My dog competes in agility, and we live in Arizona, where it's very hot. He's a black Husky/Chow mix and does terribly in the heat, so we do very little in the summer. There's actually only trials here October-March, because of the heat. We do a little training at night in the summer (when it's slightly less hot), but not all the time. He stays indoors basically all the time, I wish he could go outside more, but he can't take the heat.

Where I live it usually cools off at night (not much humidity).

So with either horses or dogs, we usually do physical exercise in the morning and evening.

First thing I did was plant trees for shade (even before I built the house) so my dogs have always had plenty of shade outside, plus access to the house if they chose. I put out a kiddy pool for my Lab mix, but he has never shown any interest in it.

Where I am now the big dogs no longer have access to the house, but they do have access to an insulated garage, and I bring them inside when it gets unpleasantly hot out there.

• matte

good (now) Afternoon Rotts! desire you had a good day. i'm constantly previous due on answering your questions ... Ugh, i've got been utilising my suggestions all day. i don't likely have an astonishing style of journey exterior of friends and relatives possessing canine, yet i'm going to respond to what I easily have stated and what i think of. wearing: professional - Very energetic and intensely obedient canine while knowledgeable magnificent, they seem to be a quite distinctive team. Con - they're severe upkeep and stressful to maintain entertained in case you at the instant are not at abode a lot Hound: professional - constantly chuffed to be around human beings and characteristic a lot of ability. Cons - severe preypersistent and could dart away if off leash and not incredibly nicely knowledgeable working: professional - good, hardy, dedicated canine. Cons - an astonishing style of canine in this team are very primary and that is each and every now and then stressful to locate good breed specimens. Terrier: professional - energetic, autonomous, formidable. Cons - enormous attitude and bull headed. Toy: professional - good for somebody with not an astonishing style of area and persons who in simple terms choose a settee better half. Cons - each and every now and then yappy, generally spoiled, can not do some issues like take long jogs. Non-wearing: professional - distinctive team, a variety of breeds that could in high quality condition diverse human beings's desires. Cons - some are severe-strung, bull headed, or not very canine friendly. Herding: professional - Very obedient and prefer to have a job and hear their proprietor (each and every now and then). Cons - constantly choose some thing to do; incredibly bored. Misc. classification: undecided what to place right here incredibly, have not owned any of them and neither have human beings i know.

Well as far as working the dogs outside it could definately be done in heat but, you just have to be careful to not overwork the dog and always have water available. For outside dogs they have this new vest out that actually has a cooling mechanism in it that keeps the dogs core temperature down. I have to several people who use it and they said that they love it and it works wonders! So I would look into that.

• Z

We make our workouts early and short. When it's hot, my guides in training work 10-15 minutes at most, and wear booties so they don't scorch their pads..We wait in the shade before we work to the corners, and I time it so we get there when the light changes, so we don't have to stand and wait the pavement. Sometimes it's almost too hot to touch, those days we don't go out. Not worth their feet, and we can do plenty of obedience and distraction work indoors.

We also practice lots of indoor work - we crowd the malls, but we can, thanks to the ADA. The dogs don't get their free run exercise outside when it's too hot. And our kennels are temp controlled.

When we used Border Collies for our cattle and sheep on the farm we always did stuff earlier and later when it was really hot. The dogs were incredibly fit and had no problems, but you can't work the livestock as hard in the heat.

They were outdoor dogs and had their 'kennel' in a shed with 2-3ft thick cob (straw and mud) walls that stayed cool in summer and warm in winter.