Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

What are some of the best fantasy novels besides Tolkien's and Martin's work?

Favorite Answer

I agree with Sierra that 'The Belgariad' by David Eddings is a series worth reading. And if you enjoy that, it is followed by another series called 'Mallorean". (There are 5 books in each series. What's that - a pentalogy'?) And if you like the author, there are more!!

And if you haven't already, you must read some of Raymond E. Feist's books as he is the master. 'The Riftwar Saga' is my favourite, closely followed by 'The Empire Trilogy' which is also brilliant (the two series are connected).

Finally, if you enjoyed 'Lord of the Rings', you may like 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever' by Stephen Donaldson. It is very similar in format except the main character is more depressed/depressing than most. Some think it's a bit of a take-off of LOTR, and you have to laugh at some of the names in it (i.e. the main 'baddy' is called Lord Foul!) But I read through both the first and second trilogy, so it can't have been all bad...

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm in the middle of my third reread of it. It's amazing. I love it so much. There are 12 books so far and one more to go.

Um, The Belgariad by David Eddings is also a favorite with me. It's a great series. I looove it.

A lot of people like The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I distracted a few books in. I might try it again some day.

You should also look into the author Brandon Sanderson. He has a lot out.

OH!!! I forgot my new favorite books. The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It was so good I read it twice. I'm now waiting for the last book in the series that will complete the trilogy,

The Inheritence series by Christopher Paolini is by far my favorite of the fantasy genre