Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 years ago

how do you make a diesel truck blow smoke?

I'm trying to get more power and more smoke coming out of my.powerstroke, right now its bone stock, any advice on making it roll coal,and get more of a whistling turbo sound?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ford Motor Company and the US Government spent a lot of time and money to get their diesel engines to STOP blowing black smoke. If you tamper with the engine, you could be fined for excessive pollution.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Black smoke out a diesel is bad all the black smoke is unburnt fuel. Or raw fuel if you want to call it. Also to mich boost is bad and useless. If you are at a idle and you here those turbos whistling they are boosting WAY to much it is unnessery boost. If you want to get more boost that is not gonna do any thing but benefit you go to a shop and have them change the fins in you're turbo shell and add a banks exhaust system that banks exhaust will give you more power and you will hear the turbo more. Also if you want to hear the turbo more add a intake system all tho there beneficial really at you you will hear that turbo working really well that's all they really do is make you hear the turbo. Hope this helps BUT seriously stay away from black smoke as you call it ask any true diesel shop they will tell it is bad because it is bad just like to much boost is harmful also remember diesel don't have blow off valves they take into the motor every thing that gets made by the turbo.

• Hunter
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Black smoke is not illegal...to an extent. Only thing possibly "illegal" about it is if you have smog laws and testing and modifying the exhaust.

The only way to get black smoke is to turn up the fuel delivered to the injectors with a tuner. You can achieve minimal smoke with adjusting the FPR, restrictive intake, and low boost. So smoke doesn't always mean power. Stay away from Banks...overpriced....over rate. Just get a regular MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust. Get aluminized if you live in the south...or stainless if you live in the north where roads are salted. And to hear the turbo, get an open exhaust...not one in an enclosed housing like the stock filter. There is no such thing as"too much boost" as long as your head studs and gasket will hold.

Source(s): 6yr 7.3 owner/diesel enthusiast 2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC Single Wheel / 3.73 / 315-75-16 TOYO Open Country / GlowShift gauges (Trans, Pyro, Boost) / 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /6637 DIY intake/ Wicked Wheel / BIG BOOST/ FPR Shimmed to 65 PIS / TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/ Zoodad mod
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

If you tune the EGR chip up 30-100 horsepower and you take off the exhaust cleaning kit and run straight pipe and put a larger exhaust tail pipe on(at least 4") you'll get more of a whistling sound. Your truck will now be Max'dOut. Which is bad *** if you ask me, mine is Max'dOut. Which means it's much more powerful and when you blow the smoke out that shows your power

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Smoke is a bad sign. It means it's not burning right (usually too rich). The only reason some big rigs do it is because the turbo takes a while to spin up to produce enough pressure to get the air fuel mix right. Plus tons of smoke is not only a MAJOR annoyance to those around you, it may be against the law.

• 9 years ago

dont listen to sale,jetdoc, micheal, me you they have no clue as to what they speak. dp tuner makes the best tuners out there for 7.3's (140hp tune) which im guessing you have if its a 6.0 rivercitydiesel.com. first and foremost you need to support that bit of extra power. run a good low restriction exhaust, and good aftermarket intake to let it breath. also need to keep an eye on that engine. at a minimum a egt and boost gauge should be installed. to set straight some crap i read. powerstroke's dont get "timed" the ecu dose that automatically they are not mechanically controlled and unless you have serious engine problems shouldnt be losing power. smoke is not illegal in about 75% of the states. moding a diesel is also not illegal in about 75% of states. me you. more boost=more fuel that can be burnt, also a turbo that whistles at idle dosent mean that it is making boost. in the world of diesel performance black smoke is not bad. as long as your egt's stay at or below 1200 degrees max. a light grey haze once you have built full boost is about perfect.

Source(s): 6 years diesel tech
  • 9 years ago

Smoke means it is running badly - if it smokes it has to be fixed. The Powerstroke in my 2005 F350SD work truck seems to need timing every couple years to keep the power up and the smoke down.

• 5 years ago

Does anyone know about adding transmission fluid to you diesel to make it smoke or to help it run better

• 4 years ago

Black smoke is the indicator of disorders in trucks

• 3 years ago

7.3 Powerstroke Rollin Coal

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.