Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 9 years ago

Question about painting my car rims black?

I would like to paint my SUVs aluminum rims black,but don't know what spray paint to use? I would also like to make them shiny black,i heard you have to apply clear coat on the black paint in order to get a shiny look and a permanent paint job? But above all i would like to paint my rims black and be able to remove it, in case i don't like it,is this possible,just to test the new look?

Thank You in advance!

• roger
    Favorite Answer

there is nothing you can find in a can that would not look like crap. All black wheels is a waste of time energy and money. If you want a good quality black professional shiny rims, that are indestrutable is powder coating them. I suggest you go look at a set of good powder coated rims

Depending on the current finish, you would need to rub the shiny off first with something like a fine grit sand paper, or scoth brite cleaning pads (used to clean pots in the kitchen).

Then use a etch type primer, couple coats at least, then a enamel black paint, and finally a nice gloss clear coat.

But if you really want it to last, look up 'powder coaters' in your phone book or google your local powder coater. It is the only way to paint wheels to last.

• Lennie

Yes you can. they make paint just for rims/ never used it so dont know if its good. VHT makes a black epoxy paint. its good because you dont need primer and you dont need clear. The epoxy makes it shiney like a clear when dried. The paint is already mixed in a spray can and cost 10-12 a can on amazon. I would take advantag of there spend $25 get free shipping deal.

Roger is right. No matter what you do it will always look like a spray paint job, no matter how good of a paint you use. Powder coat is the way to go.

Rustoleum professional grade enamel is some tough stuff, i used it to paint my aluminum rims black. Does not scuff as easy as normal or even rim paint. preparation is the key prep, prime, paint

rustoleum automobile primer. as far as getting it back off you could use aircraft remover but there no telling what that's gonna do to the aluminum finish.

Just a guess, but I would think that grill paint would work. I'm not sure how easy it is to remove it. I know that is what is typically used for painting the calipers since it stands up to the brake heat.