Should the United States Lead the World?

In your opinion, should the United States lead the world? Why or why not?

If yes, what factors combine to contribute to the suitability of the U.S. leading the world?

Favorite Answer

My exact answer is that it is my desire for the US to allow a coalition of nations to do the dirty work and be the old granny that sits in a rocking chair, giving advice and gets to say "I told you so" every time the world refuses to listen. The US is practically Gary Cooper in High Noon. The US has been fighting to hold back the darkness and all we have been is perceived as a bunch of jerks. The US should now only get involved if genocide occurs or in cases of great humanitarian need. I look forward to the day when the US can fling the marshall's badge into the arena of international politics. But until someone is able, willing and competent enough to do the job (If China and Russia could do a better job they'd be more involved instead to fighting the US in every way) we're it-for better or for worse.

*Addition*

As for factors, despite Iraq and other lousy decisions, The United States is among the most compassionate countries in the world. Despite Hurricane Katrina the American People have spent millions in cash and collateral despite of their overspent budget to help others. The United States is also willing to make the hard decisions even when they risk the anger of everyone. The wmd's in Iraq aside, Saddam Hussein had 10 years to comply with the UN. If teaming up with Osama bin Laden in the future would have helped keep his grasp on power he would have done it. That is the mark of a good leader. Another is willing to admit when an error has occurred. Despite all the problems with the wars, the US has admitted to making mistakes and at least taken steps to change them. The fact that our government has the safe-guards to be able to even make those changes puts us ahead of most of the other powers that limit at least some form of criticism. The US is not a perfect Country, but considering they've had less time to prepare than like Britain, Ancient Persia or Rome, and the fact that there's been no nuclear holocaust yet. The US has done an okay job.

I am an American, and im pretty sure its already starting to take place, i mean.... just look at the United Nations, its stationed in this country and almost every country in the world is a part of it except around 6 or something like that. Thats quite an amazing number of countries....

Wana tak about a world power though, the European Union and the United States, clearly are becoming the two things that would end up "leading" the world. the European Union is basically one nation by now, what a shame to History.

• Holly

The foundation of our government is based off of the Roman Empire republic/democracy and Greek government. I don't know about you but the Romans had the longest lasting empire in world history. a bit over 1000 years. Not to shabby. So far i believe our government has worked sufficiently. Also we are the superpower on this planet so if our government is working then why not use it. I understand some countries don't need it and that's fine, but if they are in need of one (iraq) then democracy is the way to go. I think it is the most fair and provides efficient ruling over citizens. the citizens of Iraq are literally crying for it. (true statement). Also I love how the ruler or President has the last saying for bills and other decisions AFTER congress. that is justice.

The USA is leading the world - right of the cliff of global economic destruction.

The entire global economy will be reduced to third world status, and we will turn back the clock 100 years on our standard of living until we have child labor in sweatshops, no workplace safety laws, no environmental protection laws, no public health, and the majority of the population lives in squalor.

Just like we did 100 years ago, and just like the developing nations are doing today.

Yep, we're leading the world, running back in time as fast as we can.

I've lost faith in America due to the insanity that I see on the right. If anybody in the world desires to see a nation gone amuck, then they need to look no further that America's GOP and Tea Party.

i think the world should lead the u.s.

We do, regardless of opinion

NO, we shouldn't. I don't even have to say WHY because it's OBVIOUS! Kinda question is THAT?