should a waiter be allowed to do this, introduce himself as your waiter then say he is gay?

i wouldnt like it if a heterosexual did it nor would i like a gay to do it, i am at a place to eat, not discuss your sexual preference- of any type

Favorite Answer

I agree the waiter would be crossing the line. I dont care if you are straight or gay what you do behind closed doors is your buisness. A place to eat is no place to share such info.

• What if a waiter who was a straight woman went up to a gay man and introduced herself as a waiter, then said she was single?

Kind of the same thing. But if you're being homophobic, then I just wasted my typing skills on this. I'm not gay, but I have nothing against them.

People are allowed to do a lot of things, most people vote with their dollars. If you don't like a place, then don't go there. I don't think it was morally wrong or anything, it depends on the person who waited your table. There are a lot of waiters who think they are stand up acts, and tend to talk a little too much, it may have just been that. Or f he had a huge personality.

I don't think it's right. I wouldn't appreciate it if my waiter came up to me and announced himself as heterosexual either. In business it's probably one of the avoid area, like politics or religion

• DrZoo

Yes, he's allowed to by law. Is it necessary? Not really. Maybe he thought you were hot and didn't know if you were gay or not, so he announced it.

But seriously it would be a quite awkward, and put a bit of a damper on your dinner.

Nope just discuss the food

• Alice

I would be quite surprised if my waiter did this. I have to wonder about the circumstances.

• Co

Yes, they often do it in restaurants on Commercial Street in P-town in the summer, but there it's expected. If a guy says that at a restaurant in my home town, I think 'So?' Then I say, "OK, I'll have..."

It is his choice and should be in line with the company's policy, there is NOTHING illegal about him saying that to you, nor is it an invasion of your privacy. It might be a breach of etiquette, but there isn't anything wrong about it.

Only in a gay establishment.