Hair loss & nutrition in vegetarian diet?

I'm an 18 year old female and my hair is less than half of how thick it used to be a few years ago. I've been vegetarian my whole life, I'm on iron supplements with vitamin C for absorption, but my hair continues to fall out a lot! I try and eat as healthy as possible, often I feel really moody and sick because I'm not getting enough nutrients but I try and eat as much healthy food as possible.

What should I do? I'm sick of having huge clumps of hair fall out.

Favorite Answer

If your hair loss is moderate, your nutrition and diet might have a lot to do with it. Zinc is an important mineral for your hair, and a deficiency would probably show up as excessive hair loss, lack of sheen, and difficulty with control. A zinc supplement might help you here. The RDA suggested minimum is 15mg and maximum without professional supervision is 25-40mg. Zinc is found naturally in beans, seeds and nuts, legumes, milk, and wheat bran and germ. Also, in terms of your vegetarianism, you might very well be taking in insufficient levels of vitamin B-12. This is common among vegetarians, and the results of a deficiency include dandruff, scaling, and hair loss. Most of the naturally occurring B-12 is in animal products, but can also be found in nutritional yeast and sometimes in fermented soy products (i.e. tempeh). As for supplements, the RDA suggested minimum is 3 mcg and the maximum without professional supervision is 25 mcg. So, you have options like taking supplements or adding nutritional yeast to your foods. It's not too bad on cereal or in yogurt shakes and the like.

If your hair loss is severe (coming out in handfuls) you should probably see your doctor as it may be something more serious than malnourishment.

1

Hair is made of protein and needs protein to grow and be strong. I would suggest getting vegetarian protein powder - like hemp or soy and having a shake. Taking vitamins specifically for hair growth helps too - it may not be your nutrition, you may just have high levels of DHT which block hair growth (I have this problem) so getting hair vitamins that have saw palmetto helps big time, and a shampoo that removes dht build up from the scalp.

I bought vitamins for hair from this site and have noticed a huge difference in how much hair i lose and the new thickness growing back:

www.naturalwellbeing.com

For shampoo I like http://www.ovationhair.com/

It removed the build up off your scalp and comes with a growth treatment.

I started losing hair around your age too - it is realy depressing and i totally understand. I am 26 now and my hair is better than when I was 18 since using these type of products.

Don't worry- hair loss (and I assume weak nails as well) can occur in both vegetarians and people who eat eat meat. It is simply because your body probably is not great at absorbing B12, iron, zinc which is required in hair growth. Like my mum who has thin hair and flakey nails (she eats meat) and my vegetarian friend who has A LOT of hair and strong nails.

Do you drink coffee, tea, alcohol or fizzy drinks? Do you smoke? All this reduces absorbtion of many nutrients, causing hair loss and weak nails.

Also, maybe you are straigtening, spraying your hair or dying/bleaching your hair too much? This leads to hair loss. Also try to use vegetable based hairdyes. I strongly reccomend Dr Organic which is a vegetarian/vegan brand which has reduced hair loss for me.

Also, maybe your hair is too long. Do you ever trim the roots? I used to have very think, long, greasy hair and ever since I cut it short, I no longer have those problems. Short hair can be very stylish and original if you get the hairstyle that suits you. I lose very little hair now. Using cinamon is good to stimulate hair growth.

Source(s): Vegetarian and used to have hair loss problems
  • Dory

There are many methods to make our hair grow faster, shine , glitter in natural ways without using chemicals. Learn here https://bitly.im/aMDD0 Men, and sometimes women, notice that their hair is thinning prematurely for several different reasons. Age, menopause, pregnancy, genetics, illness, and other factors all play a role in hair loss. Sure, you can use drugs or you can go in for a hair transplant or fusion, but sometimes the easiest, most inexpensive solution, is to try to stop hair loss naturally.

• Moojoo

If your hair is falling out and you feel like crap, something isn't right. It's possible it has nothing to do with your diet, though I doubt that.

Best bet: see a doctor. A doctor can rule out other things that could be causing this, and can also tell you what's wrong with your diet much better than random nuts on Yahoo.

Hi,

One thing you should consider is incorporating more protein into your diet since it is an essential nutrient for your hair's general growth as well as your body itself. Much of our protein intake comes from various meats and dairy products, however, I would see a doctor to work out a plan to incorporate more of it into your diet while maintaining your vegetarian lifestyle.

scientifically b complex need to be work but when i take becasules fizer b complex or any other brand i feel hair fall start i dont know first of all start eating pulses and protein etc although pulses provides u a natural b complex but u may take artificial one

first of all check ur drinking water quality ,second never takes any stress and make good sleep cycle and do exercise try minoxidil on ur hair roots it will work stop using excessive shampoo and hair product use light non greasy oil or cream only

Hair just wants to be left alone, hair CAN look gorgeous in its natural untouched state. So touching, brushing, washing, ironing, drying, styling, dying and similar things cause hair to become weaker NOT stronger.

You have to be rather nutrient deprived for hair to fall out in abnormal amounts and since you claim to eat healthy I don't think its diet but rather poor hair care.

The only thing I do in the poor hair care I said to avoid is wash. I wash my hair with gentle plant soaps that I make myself so I know they have no added chemicals, dyes or fragrances.

Hair loss is caused by a deficiency in zinc, and or vitamin A, and or selenium, not iron!

Here is a list of high zinc foods:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.ph...

Foods high in vitamin A:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-so...

Foods high in selenium:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-h...