Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

Mma no rules vs jeet kune do?

I think this would be a good fight. tell me which would win and why

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Nick is severely misinformed. For starters, MMA has weight classes as low as 115lbs, so it's not "just big guys". As well, and more important to this question, the fighters come from a variety of backgrounds, including karate, wrestling, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, Shooto, and even JKD. Karo Parisyan, a Judo-based fighter, doesn't fight the same way as Marcus Davis, a boxing-based fight, who in turn doesn't fight the same way as Lyoto Machida, a Shotokan-based fighter.

You also have to realize that "Jeet Kune Do" means different things to different people. You have "Original JKD" which passes on the techniques that Bruce Lee taught in his lifetime. You have "JKD Concepts" which emphasizes the "absorb what is useful" mindset; these people often train in BJJ, Muay Thai, Silat, Savate, and other martial arts, and try to blend it into their JKD matrix. Then you have "Functional JKD" which emphasizes the "aliveness" or sparring/pressure testing philosophy of JKD; this training tends to combine boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman wrestling, and BJJ, which basically amounts to a blend common in MMA training.

This is a case where it truly comes down to the fighters, not the system, because the systems you've chosen manifest themselves in such varied and nebulous forms. In fact, MMA isn't a system so much as a method of training, and JKD is often looked at as a philosphy rather than a style.

A wrestling-based MMA fighter would probably do well against an OJKD guy, based on what I've seen of OJKD "takedown defense". A Taekwondo-based MMA fighter might not do so well against an FJKD guy, on the other hand, because the latter may well train more grappling, in addition to the striking that the MMA fighter is used to. These are just two of the many possible outcomes of this pairing. Although, in fairness, most modern MMA fighters tend to have a strong background in two or more martial arts. For example, Frankie Edgar came primarily from a wrestling background, but has a brown belt in BJJ, and has shown excellent boxing in many of his recent fights; Georges St-Pierre is a black belt in Kyokushin karate, his first martial art, but is also a black belt in BJJ, and is widely considered one of the best wrestlers in MMA, despite never having an amateur wrestling career (he trains with the Canadian Olympic team), and he also trains boxing and Muay Thai with some of the best coaches in North America; Rogerio Nogueira trained Judo since he was a child, is well-known for his BJJ, and has won medals in amateur boxing; Anderson Silva has black belts in multiple martial arts (Taekwondo, Judo, Hapkido, BJJ) and is known for his Muay Thai and boxing skills. These guys have more in common with FJKD and JKDC guys than they have different. The main difference is that they get to train full time, while most JKD guys are just regular Joes who have to work a nine-to-five and can only train a few hours a week.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Jeet kune do is MMA. Joe Lewis, a former karate champion who also had wrestling and judo experience, studied with Bruce lee.

• 8 years ago

mma no rules of course becuz mma has alittle bit of everything! even jeet kune do! so its alot more well rounded so of course mma would win.

Source(s): me
  • 8 years ago

I think JKD would win becuase it is fast, agile and spontaneous. MMA on the other hand relies mostly on ground fighting BJJ.

I'm also not a fan of MMA, it's big guys doing BJJ most of the time. Not something I consider a real MA.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

MMA. Simply put in two words, ground work. Not going to ramble. I'll leave it at that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.