Should we rename American football to rugby, and rename soccer to football...?

....to better align with international standards?

Or maybe "futbol" to avoid confusing the old guard?

To all you guys saying "But football and rugby are two different sports", well what if we merged them together. I mean come on, they aren't that much different.

• veekay
    Best Answer

Just combine both sports and call it "Fugly"

Source(s): (((SSF)))

No, because then people would then get U.S. rugby confused with international rugby. I think that if there should be any renaming, in order to not get confused with different forms of football, then U.S. football should be called gridiron (they call it that in Australia), and soccer should continue to be called 'soccer'. After all, the term 'soccer' is short for association football.

football isnt a sport. american football, association football (soccer), rugby, canadian and more are all different codes that can be called football. international standards is association football, not football, futbol or soccer. and it wasnt even until the 60s and 70s that association football fans called the sport football. they called it soccer themselves and england out of all places made up the term soccer. and rugby is already a sport.

Source(s): me!

American football is rugby played by fat boys wearing mattresses. Soccer is yanks trying to play the beautiful game and making it ugly.

NO because Rugby and Football is two different sports.

Furthermore, Only in the USA and maybe Canada, do they call it Soccer.

Everywhere else soccer =Fottball.

no because american football and rugby are two different sports

• manuel

I'm with Jack. Leaving aside the cute capri pants for a moment, American football is the only masculine sport on the list.

rugby and football r different sports

Yeah, but if you rename it to rugby, would our American football players have to start wearing tutus and lipstick to acclimate to the former name of a "sport" associated with such androgynous pansy-assedness?

No need for renaming, it just divides along the gender line.

American football is the only one of those mentioned that is played by men, you see.

I don't give a crap what it's called, darling...as long as I can still watch my lovely LSU Tigers on Saturdays during the season, they can call it Mama's Dumpling Derby for all I care.

Geaux Tigers!!

(((Tofudebeast)))