Kela asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

Need the Irish version of these names please?

John, Patrick, Walter, Rebecca, Mary, Jacob, Hiram, Henderson, Harrison, Ian, Kelly, Aaron, Erin, Paul, Edward, David, Evan, Shawn, Shawna. Any or all please. I need what they would be in Ireland and also how they are pronounced. In addition if someone could give me more name suggestions thanks

Favorite Answer

John : Sean

Patrick : Padraig (either Pour-ric, or Paw-drig depending on the area of the country)

Walter: No translation as far as I am aware.

Rebecca: No translation as far as I am aware.

Mary: Maire (Maw-re)

Jacob: Jewish name with no direct translation I know of.

Hiram: No translation as far as I am aware.

Henderson is an english surname meaning son of Hender, so no translation.

Harrisson see henderson.

ian: Nopt sure if this is accurate but Eoghan or Eoin (both pronounced Oh-in)

Kelly- Isn't really used as a first name in Ireland, it is an Irish surname Ceallach as a first name, Ó Ceallaigh as a surname

Aaron- Jewish name with no translation.

Erin- Isn't used in ireland as a name. Its another old name for Ireland.

Paul - Pol(accent on the o and is pronounced the same)

Edward: Éamonn (ay-man)

david- DÁITHÍ (not a direct translation, but is tthe one generally used.)

Shawn, is just a bastardisation of Sean

Shawna- see shawn. it would be Seanna

Irish language names that would be popular

Male

Liam(lee-am) Irish for william

Oisin (ush-een), ancient irish name

Ronan (Ro-nan) Little seal or something along that line

Peadar(pa-thar or pa-dar, somewhere between the th and d, its hard to explain, and varies by region) Irish for peter

Cathal (ka-hil)

Ruari (Roar-ri)

Aiden( aiy-den)

Girls names

Aisling (ash-ling)

Aine (Awn-ya) Irish for ann.

Aiofe (Eefa) = eve

Roisin (row-sheen) little rose

I've been lazy some of these names should have accents. google them to find out where to put them

John Séan (Shawn), Patrick Pádraig (Paw-drig), Mary Máire (Moy-ra), Aaron Árón (Aw-rone), I'd guess that Erin would be Éireann (Air-en) Paul Pól (Pole), Edward Eamonn (Aim-un), David Dáithí (Daw-hee) Shawn is pronounced exactly like Séan so I would assume it's the same name, which would make Shawna Séanín. Irish Female versions of male names take the diminutive ín such as Pól and Pólín (Paul and Pauline) That's all the translations I have I'm afraid, If it helps when you are spellingin Irish usually vowels on each side of a consanant will go together as either caol or leathan, caol is i or e and leathan is a o or u, eg Dáithí or Pádraig, it isn't guaranteed but it's usually correct.

Source(s): I'm Irish,

1. Sean (pronounced Shawn)

2. Padraig (pronounced Patrick)

3. ?

4. Ribeaca (pronounced Rebecca; this Gaelic spelling is not used in Ireland, but that is how it's spelled in the Gaelic bible)

5. Maire (pronounced Mary)

6. Iacob (pronounounced Yakob: this is the way it is spelled in the Gaelic bible, but this name became James, which is Seamus in Gaelic)

7. Mac Einri (pronounced Mac Enry) means "son of Henry" since Hender is the Scandinavian version of Heindrich, which is the German version of Henry)

8. Mac Einri (means "son of Harry")

9. Iain (pronounced Ian)

10. Ceallach (pronounced KellaH)

11. Aron (pronounced Ah-ron)

12. Eireann (pronounced Erin)

13. Pol (pronounced like Paul)

14. Eamonn (pronounced Emon, or Eadbhard, pronounced Edward)

15. Daivi (or Daithi, pronounced the same, Davey)

16. Sean (Evan is the Welsh version of the name John, so it is Sean in Irish Gealic)

17. Sean (Sean is pronounced Shawn)

18. Seana (this is a modern constructed name: since Shawna is the feminine version of Shawn, and Shawn is the English spelling for Sean, which is the Gaelic version of John, the female versions of John in English are Jane or Joan, which are Siobhan and Sinead respectively in Gaelic, pronounced Shivawn and Shinaid respectively).

http://www.ireland-information.com/heraldichall/ir...