Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Does Your Book's Main Character Need to be a Guy for it to be popular?

So I'm kind of writing a novel, even though I'm pretty young to do so, but my main character is a girl. My plot, setting and it's world is so intriguing and twisted that I'm so sure that this book will go far; a lot of people that i've had the courage to share it with said so, (though they might have been just encouraging me). But i mean, i look at the world of famous books today, and literally all of their main characters are guys. For example: Harry Potter, Narnia, SpiderWick Chronicles, Lord of the RIngs, Septimus Heap etc. Like, what is this? It really gets to me and doubts me a lot. Does a book's main character have to be a guy for it to go places? Should i change my whole character sequence just so that mine matches theirs? What if my book gets unnoticed just because my character is female? What should I do? I really want the best for my story and if this is the "secret key" then i suppose i'm willing to change my people. Please help!!!!

Favorite Answer

NO!! Absolutely not! Personally I think the girl as the main character is underused and needs to be brought out. If you'll remember, in the Chronicles of Narnia there were two boys and two girls: Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy. And who was it that made every book past The Magician's Nephew possible? Lucy! Who's a girl. Lord of the Rings- Frodo would've died if not for Arwen. Who's a girl. One of the ring bearers was a girl! I think if you really think about it, it's really the girls that make a lot possible, even if they're not credited with being the 'main character.'

People are already stating popular books with females as main characters but I'll give my list anyhow:

The Book Thief

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Golden Compass

Crispin

These well known books all have female main characters. Gender does not make a difference. Books become popular because the title first catches a person, and then they get awestruck with the novel's plot and fluency. Some of these popular books just happen to have male main characters.

Definitely not!! I've read so many books with female main characters, here I'll just read a few off the bookshelf:

Pride and Prejudice

The Luxe

The Immortals series,

Paper Towns

The Hunger Games

The secret Garden

Twilight

Hope was Here

Just Listen

Saffy's Angel

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

To Kill a Mockingbird

Jane Eyre

Alice in Wonderland

Uglies

see? and that's only a few!! Good luck!! Go with the girls, no problem.

Katniss (:

The main character play a very important role in the readers mind. Its the key to attract the reader and keep him addicted to your book. The main character obviously depends on the story you have in mind. Since you are writing the story, You must have your preferences. You are the writer, you know more about the requirements for your story's main character. Go with the one which you feel best suits your story. Gender hardly plays any role in the popularity of the book. The way you frame your story is important. Go deep into the character and its surroundings. Take as much time to plot the story as you wish. Just give your best to it! All the best!

There is no secret formula to writing a best selling novel, except to write a good manuscript. If your MC is realistic and strong and well written then your audience will empathize, sympathize, and follow them where ever their travels take them. They will enjoy the adventures of your MC if your MC is likable, sort of everyman and individual, unique and a good friend and perhaps even a hero to some extent. Lovable or funny but definitely someone the reader can associate with. The tales you weave around them will make them popular.

If you believe that only Male MC's stick out in your particular genre then contemplate it for your next manuscript, but in the meantime finish this one as is. Remember that Harry isn't the first wizard student but something about the series helped it take off, Spiderwick isn't the first of its kind and yet something about it appealed in a major way. Perhaps because you have a female in a male dominated sub-genre of fantasy, she will have a following no one anticipated. Either way don't you want to be that unique force? I know I'd want to.

Source(s): Published Author of Contemporary Interracial Romance

Isn't the main character of the Twilight books a teenage girl?

I don't think there's any requirement for a book to have a male main character to be popular. Write what's in your heart. If you change the character from female to male just to please some supposed "rule" you won't write as well and then your book won't be popular, anyway.

Keep your main character exactly as SHE should be. By far the best book of 2011 with a movie deal in the bag is SPA by B.F. Camis and every main character in it is female.

No, you do not need to change it! Hunger Games is Katniss as the main character. And Septimus Heap also has Jenna as a main character.

Never write to please the market. You won't be happy with it.

when you think about it, most popular books do have main guy characters- including Catcher in the Rye lol but I enjoy reading it if it's a guy more so than a girl but I'm not sure how guys feel about that haha

• Javik

Twilight. Hunger Games. The Golden Compass. Carrie. The Vampire Diaries.

You clearly have not read enough if you think that female MCs make stories unpopular.