. asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 9 years ago

Please tell me what I can do to get ready for a Tornado?

OK, well I like In Saint Paul, Minnesota, (Twin Cities, Ramsey County) and there always Severe Weather, that scares me, and now, it's Tornado watches/warnings are day, and tonight supposed to get Severe Weather and Thunder Storms, and my Mom doesn't seem to scared, or paying attention, but I'm scared, A LOT, lights sometimes flicker, Lightening, Thunder, and I have Summer School in the morining, and my Mom is going to bed, and I have to stay up and make sure everythings OK, and things, but I'm wondering I don't have the money right now, but during a few months, I want to put together a Case, (btw, theres two families in my house upstairs and downstairs), I'm going to out bottles of water, flashlights (without putting batteries in them, because I don't want to drain them), extra batteries, a Battery Radio (OR Weather Radio) Extra batteries for that too, Crackers (and food like that), Emergency Horn (To let people know where we are), A little cover, A knife, a Lighter, My CD player (which has FM, and is now always on the News Station, and all I need is batteries in there). OR I don't really know what to get or use, please give me ideas and suggestions, Thanks.

Favorite Answer

There are preconfigured emergency kits available online. Maybe you can use that as a guide. Here is what's in a typical 10 person emergency kit:

A 10-person emergency survival kit packaged in (2) 5-gallon containers and designed for the office or school. This comprehensive survival kit contains the most effective emergency supplies for emergency preparedness including the emergency food, water, lighting, radio, first-aid, sanitation, and shelter supplies to prepare for all disasters. This deluxe kit also contains a Solar / Hand-Crank Powered Flashlight, Radio, Flashing LED Siren & Mobile Phone Charger with a universal adapter - just plug in your cell phone car charger to charge your phone using the hand-crank / Dynamo Power Generator.

FOOD & WATER

(10) ER™ Food Bars

(30) ER™ Water Boxes w/ Straws

(50) ER™ Water Purification Tablets

SHELTER

(10) ER™ Emergency Blankets

(1) ER™ Tent

(1) ER™ Plastic Sheeting

(1) Roll Duct Tape

LIGHTING & COMMUNICATION

(1) ER™ Solar / Hand-Crank Powered Light, Radio, & Cell Phone Charger

(1) Shake Light

(4) ER™ Green Lightsticks

(1) ER™ Yellow Lightsticks

(5) ER™ Emergency Candles

(50) ER™ Waterproof Matches

FIRST AID

(1) ER™ 160-piece First Aid Kit

SEARCH & RESCUE

(1) Safety Whistle

(10) Dust Masks

(2) Pair Vinyl Gloves

(1) Pair Work Gloves

(1) Pry/Crow Bar 15"

(1) ER™ Survival Guide

SANITATION

(1) Snap-on Toilet Seat

(12) Sanitation/Toilet Bags

(1) Package Toilet Chemicals

(10) Tissue packs

PACKAGING

(2) ER™ 5 Gallon Bucket Container

You basically have what is needed. Maybe take some towels, toiletry, and blankets. Good job at preparing.

With that being said, if the weather should get severe enough that you need to take shelter, remain calm. If possible get to the lowest level of the building/house and/or an interior room or area. This would be an area with no windows nor walls that share with the outside. If you can not get to a sturdier shelter, then find a low ditch or culvert and lay flat as can be face down. Do not try to outrun a tornado in a vehicle. Some tornadoes have been known to travel up to 70MPH. Remember, REMAIN CALM!

Source(s): Storm spotter/chaser

First: PLAN AHEAD!!! Dont get all your water, etc in a rush. Plan immeditly! Dont wait

Second: I live in arkansas. Get a cellar. I dont know if they sell those up there or not. be advised and ready when a severe thunderstorm watch or tornado watch is active if warned split like a bannana before its on u. go 30 min early

Have a nice day :)

Source(s): my coconut

shop an eye fixed on the climate. this suggests observing interior sight new pronounces, listening to the radio, observing the sky. ordinary as that. perfect now, SPC exhibits a 5% of twister formation interior the jap component to Kansas and western component to Missouri. in the experience that your section ever is going decrease than a twister warning, meaning that a twister has been observed or the typhoon is able to forming one. that's while it's time to seek for a secure look after.

Get to the lowest place in your house, put as many walls between you as possible, go get in the bath tub and put a pillow over your head,

Source(s): I live in arkansas and there's lots of tornados

I have heard that the best thing that you can do is run directly into the center of it. Wait for it to twirl your body into a million pieces & try to hold on. Moooooooo!!!!!