Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 years ago

Logging flight time with Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Can I be logging simulator time in a log book through Microsoft Flight Simulator X?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Sec. 61.51 (4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience, provided an authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space

PART 1—DEFINITIONS AND ABBREVIATIONS

*Flight training device (FTD) means a replica of aircraft instruments, equipment, panels, and controls in an open flight deck area or an enclosed aircraft cockpit replica. It includes the equipment and computer programs necessary to represent aircraft (or set of aircraft) operations in ground and flight conditions having the full range of capabilities of the systems installed in the device as described in part 60 of this chapter and the qualification performance standard (QPS) for a specific FTD qualification level.

*Flight simulation training device (FSTD) means a flight simulator or a flight training device.

Refer to 14 CFR part 60 and

AC No: 61-136 FAA Approval of Basic Aviation Training Devices (BATD) and Advanced Aviation Training Devices (AATD) for more info.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Realistic Airplane Flight Simulator - http://FlightSimulator.siopu.com/?XqS
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

There are some really helpful answers and links above. I'd like to add something. Let me point out some differences between real live aviation and Flight Simulator X. When you're flying a plane on Flight Simulator X, you can do whatever you want with an airplane. You can cruise at an altitude of 500 feet AGL at 320 KIAS, extend landing gear and flaps to full when you're cruising at 36,000 feet with no damage, recover a stall using a nose-up input, touch down at a descent rate of 1800 feet per minute with flaps set 0, come to a complete stop after touchdown just by pulling the parking brakes(without engaging the reverse thrust or spoilers) and taxi around the airport by steering the nose wheel with the yoke just the way you steer a Grand Cherokee. Nobody asks you why. You may use any tabletop simulators for fun or to learn to fly - but be advised that you'll go about developing a set of unorganized, unclear information and terribly wrong concepts that will confuse you when you learn the real concepts of real live aviation because you don't learn things in a proper order. But it's okay if you keep yourself updated with how things work in the real world. I think it would be great to fly if they have a simulator cockpit and controls. But still, it's not something that I know with which you can log flight hours.

• 8 years ago

Generally speaking, no, you cannot log time spent with Microsoft Flight Simulator.

A simulator that lets you log time under FAA regulations must be certified by that agency for the purpose and typically requires the presence of an instructor. Microsoft Flight Simulator can be used in configurations that do allow for logging of "flight" time, but they must be specific configurations that are designed to meet FAA requirements and are certified by the FAA. Such configurations are rare.

X-Plane overs a greatly overpriced option that allows the sim to more easily meet FAA requirements for use in a certified simulator. Often people misinterpret this to mean that X-Plane itself is somehow a certified simulator, but that's not true. It's just easier to make it part of a certified simulator. The FAA certifies complete, specific configurations, not just any old program that runs on a PC. Microsoft is not interested in building certified configurations for the FAA, so it has never taken any steps to make this easier, but it can theoretically be used for the purpose. So can a lot of other simulation software.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Experience Real Flight Simulation Guaranteed : http://LatestFlightSimulator.com

• Eileen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It's a fun game to fly, but is nothing like a real plane. Even the level 6 simulators I've used for flying made by Frasca have some drawbacks. The best simulators would be the full motion Level D simulators that airlines use to train their pilots. But obviously nothing is the same as the real plane!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Can you give me a link to the FAA website that tells me that you can log only 50% of flight time? Because, I have never heard of anything like that. I know it is used as some simulators for some flight training schools but, there are different qualifications that specific simulator has to meet before you can log it as ground trainer. I would say no you cannot log it as flight time.

• 8 years ago

No. It's a video game.

In order to log Microsoft Flight Simulator time in a pilot logbook, it would need to be an approved flight training device (which it is not) and you would need to be receiving instruction from a certified flight instructor.

• 8 years ago

Yes, the FAA FAR/AIM specifies that Microsoft Flight Simulator is an acceptable simulator to log time, provided you have a joystick for realistic flight. You can only log 50% of your time on it though, because you need to fly a few real-life hours first. Tell your instructor that you don't want to waste money on fuel when you could be at home using "the sim". He won't like it but at least its saving you money.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nope, only certified Aviation Authority sims can be recorded on your logbook under supervision of your instructor. But these days its near impossible to use flight sims since its not real life. You can always record flight sime time for recreational purposes but not real life. Just call your country's aviation authority. If USA then FAA. Im from Australia.

Source(s): Private Pilot at 17
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.