Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Christians: Bible says rape victims must marry the rapist?

Bible is the TRUE WORD OF GOD.

This is what the true word of God says.

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

What do you have to say about this Christians?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

[The Lord our God is against fornication & adultery… be it consensual or forced. The half of the 10 Commandments, with its multi-layered meanings, is against rape. You can “steal” a person, which is abduction, which He established a death penalty to a rapist before ever reaching marriage. Just because He commanded a rapist to marry the rape victim does not it will bold will for him. I do not have enough space to give you a long example. You will have to email me for it.]

King James Version Bible

1 Peter Chapter 2

11. Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

Deuteronomy Chapter 5

1. And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.

2. The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.

17. Thou shalt not kill.

18. Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

19. Neither shalt thou steal.

20. Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.

21. Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ***, or any [thing] that [is] thy neighbour's.

22. These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

Exodus Chapter 21

16. And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus Chapter 19

29. Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness.

Ephesians Chapter 6

4. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Matthew Chapter 18

6. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Colossians Chapter 3

21. Fathers, provoke not your children [to anger], lest they be discouraged.

Leviticus Chapter 18

6. None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover [their] nakedness: I [am] the LORD.

7. The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she [is] thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

8. The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it [is] thy father's nakedness.

25. And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

Deuteronomy Chapter 27

20. Cursed [be] he that lieth with his father's wife; because he uncovereth his father's skirt. And all the people shall say, Amen.

22. Cursed [be] he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of his mother. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Leviticus Chapter 18

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.

Jeremiah Chapter 17

9. The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Mark Chapter 7

21. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

22. Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

23. All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Matthew Chapter 5

27. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28. But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Galatians Chapter 5

19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

James Chapter 1

12. Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

13. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

16. Do not err, my beloved brethren.

• 8 years ago

thats what the bible says, but after experiencing i don't want to see the rapist.

i was raped by...

TYRONE NORWOOD in

GARDENA, CA

(LOS ANGELES AREA)

• Roberta B
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

It is NOT what the Bible says. The verses quoted refer to consensual sex not rape. Rapists are condemned to death, while the victim is not accused.

• 8 years ago

The Bible says the rapist must marry the rape victim. I know it can be hard to see the difference, but it's there. The rape victim does *not* have to marry the rapist. If her father does not want her to marry him (because in those days it was the father's decision), the rapist still owes him the bride price. Otherwise, the rapist must marry her, and may not divorce her, which means she will be provided for her entire life. It can be hard to wrap your inelastic mind around such a concept, but this was actually better for the rape victim than if she didn't have the option of marrying her rapist, because otherwise she would probably be cast into the streets and forced into prostitution.

• As a former Christian who has lost her faith, what I have to say is that someone should never have to marry someone nowadays that they don't want to, and least of all their rapist.

Nowadays, a rapist will be sent to prison, hopefully. The Bible was written too long ago to be fully trusted now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Sometimes, letting go seems like the easiest thing to do. But think about this: you've invested so much of your time and energy into another person; you've made a solemn promise; and you still know there's love, even if it's hiding underneath the surface. This website will show you how to save a marriage and avoid divorce, even if you're the only one trying https://tr.im/yxS7o

• 6 years ago

Unfortunately your version of the bible is incorrect.

Is this really the justice God wants for a rape victim? Let's take a look at what the King James Version says about it. It turns out that this passage is really about fornication, not rape.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 (KJV):

28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

There is such a big difference between the two versions. So what does the bible really say about rape? If you look in verse 25 you'll see that the price for rape is death.

Deuteronomy 22:25 (KJV):

25 But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die.

Isn't it a beautiful thing to know that God wants justice for the crime that is committed against a rapist?

Do not be fooled. The word of God is being misrepresented in most versions of the bible. Get a King James Version.

Source(s): KJV
  • 8 years ago

I find it to be just as wrong as you do. The picture that comes to mind of the word rape is extremely violent and in every sense outrageous.

But on the other hand since you use a paraphrased and not reliable version of the original text then it's most likely because it best suits your argument.

Being that it is a paraphrased mistranslation, and other factors concerning the full chapter that indicate that it isn't rape, but rather promiscuity... then it makes sense that the discovered couple should be married.

Which did happen to my sisters, each in their case.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

But they never lived together, rather the rapist PAID!!! PAid the victim alimony for deflowering her for the rest of his everloving life!!!! get info straight before spouting about!!!!

• 8 years ago

It's the translation of the word Hebrew word...rape. What the Bible is talking about is a man laying with a woman who is a virgin and he needs to step up to the plate and pay the father and marry her to make an honest woman out of her.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Keep Marriage Alive http://enle.info/SaveYourMarriage/?767P
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

You left out the part "and they have been found out (New World Translation)

If it was truly talking about rape, then it wouldnt say "they." The account would have said, "He" (the rapist)

The fact that he lies down with her and "they" are found out means that this is a consensual act of premarital sex.

The law of Moses didnt apply to all people, just the nation of Israel. The nation had a population of about 3 million people. Very small.

If two people had sex without being married, they were required to get married.

The verses before that, Deuteronomy 22:25-27, talk about a man violating a woman who IS engaged, and the woman screaming for a rescuer. This is rape. And verse 25 shows that the man is to be put to death by himself.

Anytime you present a scriptural topic for discussion, the contaxt usually gives the full picture over a few verses alone.

Source(s): Study with Jehovahs Witnesses
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.