What should I know about going to America to be a Foreign Exchange Student?

I am from Germany and going to go to America in the fall to be a foreign exchange student. I have never been to the U.S. before (but I speak English good I think)

What are American students like? Advice? How do I make friends and anything else I should know?

Favorite Answer

We just finished hosting an exchange student from Eastern Europe. She did very well here, so all I can do is share how she succeeded.

She was a very good student and found our school system too easy, but she took mostly very easy courses because she was worried about keeping up. So don't be afraid to challenge yourself a little bit academically.

She was very well liked because while she was very proud of her home country, she didn't go around comparing it to the US in such a way to make herself sound superior. Some exchange students do that (like American tourists sometimes do when they go to Europe). That doesn't impress anybody. But she had a good way about her of describing life in her country so it just sounded interesting.

She also enjoyed a lot of things all teenagers enjoy, like movies and music, so I think you'll find a lot in common with American teenagers if you talk about those subjects. We have a subscription to movies that play on the Internet, so she spent time watching movies that her classmates enjoyed so she could learn American slang and also know what they were talking about.

Not as many American kids watch soccer as European kids do, but some like it. They also like American football and basketball is really big. They also love to take pictures on their phones---a teenager's phone is a very big deal here.

I hope you have a wonderful time in America!

• NM

One of my friends was an exchange student from China, and we actually had a lot in common. At the end of the day, we're still teenagers who have favorite artist, genre, fashion styles etc. I'm sure you'll find someone who will relate to you. And trust me, I know there are Americans who will think it's cool that you came from Germany and will want to know more about you and your home country. The only thing I remember my friend telling me was that school in America was really easy...so you may be ahead some of us...depending on the school. Oh and have fun :)