Kelly N asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 10 years ago

Was it "The Big Three" or "The Big Four" who made decisions for the Paris Peace Conference?

I learned in class The Big Three but on Wikipedia I see The Big Four.

Feel free to give me more information on the Paris Peace Conference..

Favorite Answer

The Big Three were the U.S., Britain, and France represented by Woodrow Wilson, Llyoyd George, and Clemenceau.

Italy and Japan were both snubbed. Italy shockingly discovered that both Britain and France refused to abide by the provisions in their secret treaty to give Italy lands as spoils of war. Likewise, Japan was also not offered a seat. Russia, being as it was being occupied by Western European and U.S. soldiers in opposition to the rise of the Bolsheviks was also not given a seat.

As far as decisions go, the result of the treaty of Paris was a compromise between Wilson's famous and quite frankly, revolutionary, 14 Points and the desires of Britain and France to take advantage of the spoils of war.

Quite a few of Wilson's points were in fact used, but the French and British managed to make sure that they didn't take away from their spoils of war. For example, the League of Nations appointed almost all of the major mandates (basically protectorates) and a majority of all the mandates

to Britain and France. Another one that was abused was Wilson's call to limit military buildup among nations which can be seen in the limits applied to the German military forces.

Other demands not found in the 14 points, such as a demand for war reparations from Germany were also added by Britain and France.

*edit*

One more thing, forgot to clarify that the Fourth nation in the Big Four was Italy (Orlando). Still, his participation was relatively minor due to the other three dominating the proceedings.

The Big 3 were:

President Wilson - USA.

Prime Minister Clemenceau - France.

Prime Minister Lloyd George - Britain.

Prime Minister Orlando of Italy is sometimes added to make a 'Big 4' but Orlando soon became sidelined; he couldn't speak or understand English,the language the discussions were conducted in,and Britain and France - in reality the 'Big 2' of the conference - regarded Italy as having been more of a liability than an asset during the war, so basically ignored promises made to Italy during the conflict.This was easier as these promises had been made in 1915 and 1916,which was before Orlando had become Prime Minister of Italy (October 1917),so they hadn't been negotiated with him personally.

Italy had a place at the table but they were lightly regarded as was Japan. Following the conference both Italy and Japan were said to be considered "world powers", but the Big Three did not consider them as such in actual practice. This snub is I believe a cited cause for Japan and Italy's actions in the 2nd world war.

Go with what your teacher said. Whether she is actually wrong or right, what she said will be on the test. Also don't trust Wikipedia. And I learned it as the Big Three being the United States, England and France.

• Joanne

Not yet, but I am looking for a new armchair to see me to the end of my days, whilst I can still afford to pay for one. The one I like the most is several hundred's of dollars and it will be a big commitment for my already strained budget. I will not make a purchase until next month as the end of this month is when all of the adjustments to tax and income are made and I don't want to commit myself to payments I have to make now that I may not be able to afford next month. I have found, over the last few years they give you so much 'extra' as your increase. and then claw most of it back in one way or another.

the 3 were

Lloyd George Britain.

Clemenceau France.

Wilson America.

But wilson did Not sign the Versailles Treaty the USA made their own Agreement in 1921 that Virtually said lets be Friends

we want relations Between Germany and the USA to be as it was Before 1914

In other words the USA and Congress did NOT blame Germany for the war

U.S.A, England, and France