How can I STEAM-cook beef?

I'm in a CREATIVE-COOKING mood for supper, tonight.

I have bought many cuts of beef (I'm planning to cook FLANK STEAK, now.)

How can I cook beef Flank Steak in my STEAMER BASKET? I hear about an episode on IRON CHEF with Chef Gordon Ramsey who cooked this meal.

Thanks for cooking ideas.

Favorite Answer

How to Steam-Cook Meat to Be Tender

Overview

Many cuts of meat are tough and chewy because they come from muscles that get a lot of exercise. Cuts from the shoulder area of deer, lamb, cow and pig contain a lot of connective tissues that make the meat chewy, but the tissues melt when exposed to steam heat. Other cuts come from lean muscles with little marbling, such as cuts from the hindquarter, which also benefit from slow, moist heat. Braising refers to the cooking method that applies steam heat for hours to break down collagen and unwind protein strands, yielding fall-apart tender meat. You can braise on the stove, in the oven or in a slow cooker, but brown the meat first to enhance the flavor.

Preparation

Step 1

Remove the meat from the fridge 30 minutes ahead of time to let it warm up a bit.

Step 2

Blot the meat dry with napkins or paper towels to enhance the browning process.

Step 3

Combine salt, pepper and your other favorite spices with 1/4 cup of flour in a large, flat bowl. Drag the meat through the seasoned flour and push down on it, pressing the flour deep into the meat's surface.

Step 4

Combine 1/2 to 1-1/ 2 cups of beef broth, cider, wine, water, beer, water, juice or other liquid with dry spices and seasonings in mixing bowl to form your steaming, or braising, liquid.

Step 5

Slice any vegetables you want to include with your steamed meat into large chunks. For example quarter potatoes, carrots, celery or onions.

Step 6

Preheat a skillet or Dutch oven on your stove top, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, and brown the meat for 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Add the prepared liquid and bring it to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet or Dutch oven to loosen the browned-on bits of meat and flour.

Cooking Methods

Step 1

Reduce the heat so the liquid simmers lightly. Cover the skillet or Dutch oven tightly. Simmer small cuts of meat 75 minutes and large roasts 2 to 3 hours, until the meat is fork tender. Add the vegetables for the final 60 minutes of cooking.

Step 2

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a lid on the Dutch oven and transfer it to the lower middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake the meat for 25 to 30 minutes per pound. Keep the meat cooking until it is fork tender. If you like it more tender, cook it longer. Add the vegetables for the last hour of baking.

Step 3

Transfer the browned meat and liquid to the slow cooker and put the lid on. Cook the meat on "Low" for 7 to 8 hours or on "High" for 4 to 6 hours. Add the vegetables halfway through the cooking.

Tips and Warnings

If you like your meat more tender, just steam-cook the meat longer. The longer it cooks, the more tender it gets.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/470195-how-to-st...

Source(s): PP

Well, it is an unusual idea. The pressure cooker is good. If you are going to use the steamer basket, you should probably slice it on the diagonal,make even thickness strips that will fit in the basket. Before you slice it, be sure to peel the connective tissue off the meat. It is a filmy white membrane that makes the meat tougher to chew. It would also be good to marinate the meat and maybe put some spice in the water of the steamer to get it into the steak.

I always steam cook ground beef (hamburger) to drain the fat from it and render regular ground beef lean or extra-lean as a result. I was thinking of steaming roasts for the same reason. Perhaps if I put a saucer or something in the bottom of my crockpot and put the roast on that to cook I may get the same results? It seems to me that having it sit IN the liquid while it s cooking would just allow the fat to remain in or soak back in or something. Am I mistaken about this?

• Cboo94

i know you can cook chicken in a rice steamer, so flank steak if sliced thinner should be ok in steamer basket.

i'd go with a hot wok and use broth or water to steam cook very thinly sliced beef.

• cobra

Never ever steam cook beef! You will boil all the flavour out of it.

Your best bet would be to invest in a pressure cooker. There are digital ones out now that are very safe.

The only way I can think of is to thinly slice it to steam