Australian college and sports?

I'm considering going to Australia for college. Would that be a good idea, considering I live in the US? Also, is Australia big on womens volleyball? I would like to pursue that in college.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, in Australia college is the last stage of your secondary education - it's year 11 and 12, ages 16-18 (mostly).

University is what you're thinking of, and we don't have professional or semi-professional sport tied in with our univeristies. University is for studying and getting degrees. Most universities have sporting clubs and facilities but again, this is completely non-professional.

Volleyball as a sport is pretty much a non-entity in Australia, regardless of gender. Most universities would have a club, but it's not considered a "big sport".

Source(s): australian university student
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Most Australian universities have a strong sporting culture and excellent facilities. I would be very surprised if you could not play volleyball. However, there is no professional aspect to it, no sporting scholarships or college football/hockey as you know it. There are inter university competitions, such as Eastern Conference, where universities compete with each other, but it is not profesional at all. Just a bit of fun, with a healthy dose of rivalry thrown in and a massive p1ss-up at the end.

There should be information about the sporting clubs available on the websites of the universities you are interested in.

• Katty
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Australian universities do not have the sports angle you have in the US. Sports play more of a role in uni like the local Chess club does low key and some novice players included in the team. Its not like the US at all. Unis are for studying mostly - not the social side unless you are an international student - as most Australians live with their parents during uni - going away for uni is something only rural students do (and they most likely will have gone away for high school as well).

• C.M. C
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

xoxMusic, they call college Universities over there, what your thinking of, is different in Australia, where as we over this side of the world have a great professional influence through the colleges, over there it's through the outside clubs. Try and google volleyball Australia or Sydney or Brisbane see what you turn up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.