How can I get Steam to download games faster?

I have a disk copy of Left 4 Dead 2. I just got a new computer and I'm downloading L4D2 into Steam so I can play it, but it is REALLY slow, about 1 - 20 KB/s. How can I make this go faster? My internet isn't slow, it's just Steam.

Favorite Answer

Steam downloader is sunfortunately terrible for everyone. There's something that seems to work, though. Close out of Steam (right out of Steam, meaning sign off and everything) and go into wherever you have your Steam folder. Automatically when you install it it goes into C drive. So in that case you need to go to C:/Program Files/Steam

There should be a file called ClientRegistery.blob. Delete it. Don't worry, this always sounds like a scam, but seriously, this is the file that selects your download server. Just delete it, then open Steam again. A small update will appear (a few seconds) and the file will be recreated, putting you on a different download server, meaning a different speed. You may have to do this more than once, though, as sometimes 1 or 2 of the servers it puts you on are as slow as the one you're trying to get off. Deleting the .blob file ONLY affects this one thing. It doesn't change your downloaded stuff, your games, your profile or anything. It just recreates itself and chooses a random download server. If you try this numerous times and it never gets better. I suggest complete uninstalling, then reinstalling Steam (This is a LAST CHOICE option, as obviously you need to redownload everything). Good luck.

Im having a problem with steam today also. My download goes up to 1.2 mg's down to 0 I really dont know what to tell you but good luck