Where are the best places to eat at in New Orleans?

Going to the NO next weekend for the very 1st time and I want to go where the locals eat and drink

Best Answer

My favorite restaurant is Jaqiumos, Dick and Jennys and Commanders Palace and Brigtsens!

Nice restaurant in quarter for seafood- GW FINS

Seafood Places- Some of The best are not in the quarter.... Galley- Great seafood home of the soft shelled crab po boy at jazz fest

Dragos in Metairie best chargrilled oysters

Frankie and JOhnnies- Great seafood

Kpauls- Blackened red fish

Domileses(awesome poboys) I love their shrimp po boy.. My favorite place for po boys!

R and O's Great Seafood and pIzza

Fiorella's Cafe

Stanley has my favorite fried oyster seafood. But not a seafood oriented place

Restaurants:

Rio Mar

Commanders Palace(MY FAV)

Muriels(Turtle Soup, Goat Cheese Crepes, and Pecan crusted drum)

Coffee Pot (FAVORITE RED BEANS and breakfast)

Upperline( TURTLE SOUP and FISH PIQUANTE USA todays best dish

Lilette

Irenes

The Joint- BBQ

ONE on Hampson- Best Duck and Okra Gumbo and Great Cochon du lait and oysters rockelfeller!

Squeal- BBQ

Galatoise- (Very famous and very good)

Dick and Jennys-(EVERYTHING IS GREAT!)

One on Hampson( BEST DUCK and OKRA GUMBO),

Brennans( BRUNCH)

Crepe Nanou,( Love their crepes and grilled AMBERJACK)

Brigtsens ( Everything is AWESOME)

Yo Mamas Bar and Grill- Best Hamburgers and BOILED CRAWFISH during the season)

Palace Cafe( PECAN CRUSTED FISH AND BLUE CRAB LEGS)

Arnauds

Baru- Latin American Tapas

Antoines….

Cochon( BEst cochon du lait)

Coops

Clover Grill( open 24 hrs)

Stanley(Great Breakfast and BEST GUMBO IN THE QUARTER AND OYSTER PO BOY)

Cafe du monde- beignets

Verti Marte(great po boys and delivers in quarter)

New Restaurants- Sylvian, Green goddess, Bouligny Tavern(gastro pub)

useums-Historic New Orleans Collection, Ogden, Dday, the cabildo, Pharmacy, Confederate Museum, US Mint, Louisiana State Museum, Hermann-Grima-Gallier Historic, Beauregard-Keyes House and Garden (Museum)

Drink in the Quarter! Pat O's, Lafittes Blacksmith shop, Absinthe House, Carousel Bar at the Monteleone hotel, bombay club

favorite FQ BAR- Lafittes and Pat o's,

Goldmine- place to dance in the quarter

Local Bars not in the quarter- Victorian Lounge at the Columns, Bridge Lounge, Delachaise, fat harrys, Bull Dog, Balcony bar, St. Joes, brunos, rendezvous, Lucys retired surfers bar(warehouse district), Monkey Hill, Le Bontemps Roule,

Local Dive Bars- Ms. Maes(cheap Drinks and open 24 hrs), Three Brothers,

Maple Leaf Bar, Mayfair, Harrys,

DIve bar in the quarter- Johnny Whites, Lafittes...

Favorite Local Bar- Lucys retired surfers bar in the warehouse district. Saints players go here sometimes.

The best po boy sandwich is Domilise's a little family owned place outside of the quarter and is cash only.This is a best kept secret. Also since it is Crawfish Season go to Yo Mamas bar and grill and get some boiled crawfish.

My favorite drinks: Planters Punch at Pat O's, Pimms Cup at the Napolean House,bloody mary at the avenue pub uptown( Avenue pub is also a great place for beer and its open 24 hrs.

Attractions: Jackson Square, St Louis Cathedral, Cafe Du Monde,Moonwalk on the Mississippi, Audubon Zoo, Aquarium, Zoo/Aquarium Cruise, Imax, Royal St. Antiques, Magazine Street Shopping and Julia St Art Galleries, Check out the Architecture in the Garden District, Airboat Swamp tour, Mardi Gras World, Ride the Streetcar, New Orleans School of Cooking, Carriage Ride, City Park

n street has a lot of music clubs!!(snug Harbour, DBA, Spotted Cat)

Tipitinas has cajun dancing every sunday night as long as there is no special events going on

Maple Leaf Bar- Rebirth plays every Tuesday night and it right next door to the local favorite restaurant jaquimos!!!!Great music plays here! http://mapleleafbar.com/

Le bon temps rouler- Soul rebels every Thursday http://www.myspace.com/4801magazine

Rock n Bowl- http://www.rockandbowl.com/CalandarPAGE/…

House of Blues

Vaughns- Kermit Ruffins plays here a lot.

Howlin Wolf- http://www.thehowlinwolf.com

Preservation Hall- Serves no Alcohol so all ages are allowed to go in.

Chickie Wa Wa- chickiewahwah.com/

Snug Harbour- http://www.snugjazz.com/site/

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Source(s): Everything you need from a local!

Elisabeths for breakfast over in Marigny the Praline bacon is awesome, although there use to be a place by the market that had an eggs benedict po-boy that was amaizing! YOu gotta try Dick and Jenny's on Tchopitoulas for dinner, it's not to far away from a famous bar music venue that I am forgetting?! Damn can't remeber. Oyster's I always liked cooter browns for raw oysters in carolton plus they have a great beer selection. Matt and Nadies is ok. COmmanders place is pretty good but pricey, emrils is ok, Ohhh K-Pauls would be good for dinner too. Cafe du monde is great at like 5 am. any other time especially during the summer and it's just too hot and crowded.

Good idea. Cafe du Monde is actually one of the number one tourist places in NO but you should at least walk by it. You will be close to the Gumbo Shop at 630 St. Peter St. and it is also a good place. Looks like Kandi is a local as I am not familiar with a lot of those places so check a few out. If you do get down to Jackson Square, and you should, stop in Creole Delicacies and say hello to my friend Sondra Greene, one of the nicest people God ever put on this green earth.

http://www.cookincajun.com/school.php

Source(s): Used to to go to NO every year for 5 or 6 days.

Gumbo try Dooky Chase, Two Sisters or Frankie & Johnny. Soft shell crab - Brigtsen's (call first). Crispy mirliton napoleon with remoulade and cayenne buerre blanc go to Cuvee, garlic oyster poboy- Liuzza's by the track N. Lopez St. Half-n-half (shrimp & oysters) or soft shell crab sandwich - Casamento's on Magazine St. Aztea chocolate gelato - La Divina, Cannoli - try Angelo Brocato's on Carrollton. For a great chocolate cream sno-bliz - Hansen's Sno Bliz, Tchopitoulas @ Bordeaux, Praline Bacon - Elizabeth's and Bozo's on St. Anne's is always good eating.

I hope this help you and enjoy your time in New Orleans it's never a dull moment.

Source(s): I have eaten at all of the above places and I can tell you - you will not be disappointed.
  • The other answers are good but, if you have a little extra time and $$$ you might want to try the commanders palace. It is a Fine dining restaurant where chefs like Emeril Lagasse, and Paul Prudhomme have cooked and has won many awards.

I was born and raised in New Orleans. Here are my favs:

Cafe Du Monde- for their coffee and beignets. So good!

Mr.Bs Bistro or Dickie Brennans- they are more upscale but are classics for the city. Whenever we have a special occasion we go.

Draggos- for the amazing chargrilled Oysters!

Source(s): Me