Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 8 years ago

Is a lemonade stand illegal?

My friend and I wanted to have a lemonade stand in front of a grocery store... would this be ok if were had permission from the manager? It seems like there is a lot of complicated laws.

Best Answer

Any kind of business where you can make a profit is illegal to hold in front of another place of business. In fact, last week I was sitting in the car outside the bank waiting for my mom and this kid was selling candy for his school right in front of the bank. I didn't see anything wrong with it but one of the bank employees came out and told him to leave. I heard him say that you can't sell stuff on private property. Whatever. The guy was just selling candy. And that was the perfect place since people coming out could have just made a withdrawal and bought more LoL so yeah, I doubt you'll get permission since a lemonaide stand would be considered a profitable business and the grocery store is considered private property. You would have to go somewhere public (a park, the sidewalk, your house) I know. The law sucks a$$

• Cheryl

Lemonade

Technically, you would need a zoning permit and vending permit from the city, along with the health department's okay, but if no one complains, you should be fine. Worst thing that would happen is they'd probably ask you to close up shop, but that's only if some one is a jerk and reports you, which probably wouldn't happen. Kids have lemonade stands all the time.

Most cities require permits to operate any sort of business. Even if the manager approves to be a legal business entity you would have to file papers with the state, get a certificate of use and occupancy from the city you would be operating in, etc.

There have been several stories of children without these documents being ticketed by overzealous police officers.

It's wonderful that you want to start a business but there are risks associated with not having a legal business entity that you are operating under.

If you're are young kids, doing it for a day or two, during an event such as a parade, or local event, you are PROBABLY okay.

If someone complains that you don't have the necessary permits from the Health Dept, or that you are not collecting Sales Taxes for the State you live in....you could be closed down.

On the other had, the owner of the grocery store might cover you under his permits..... MIGHT

It depends on where you are. Here in the UK, if you have permission from the manager or owner of the property and are under the age of 18, you don't need a business license. I'm not sure about the states, but I imagine it's mostly the same.

It is ilegal lots of kids do this thinking it would be ok but its not. Go to the municipal building to get a permit first then you can have your lemonade stand.

Source(s): Ive done it before =.=
  • It should be legal, but it'll probably be very unlikely the manager will let you set up outside the store - they'd view it as competition

And this is why we need to destroy the government. They want us to pay to earn money. In their own way the government is like the mafia. I bet you need to pay taxes of slme sort to sell lemonade. Kids have to hustle and hide from cops nowadays to earn money.

Lol, I heard about some little kids' parents who got in trouble for their kids having one.