ANIME: Dubbed vs Subbed?

I am so tired of trying to watch anime and having weeaboos complain about the Dub being SOOOO horrible and the Sub being SOOOO beautifully stunning and Golden Globe-worthy. I am all for the originals in things, but it's so much better listening in my own language. I'm not sure about you guys, but I like to WATCH my shows, not read them. If I wanted to read, I'd read a book.

For example, I was watching a dub and when the episode was over I decided to read the comments, and all it was, was people complaining that the "emotion was gone" and the English voice actors "can't portray the characters correctly". I am not against the Japanese--I'm a Junior in high-school and already studied all four years AND visited Japan--but these people are annoyingly close-minded. To me, the majority of Japanese voice actors sound exactly the same and hold no emotion...and I admit, there are some bad English voice actors but OHMYGOSH, shut UP. Why does it have to be a constant battle of who is better and what is better?

I'd like to hear your opinions on the constant battle of Dub vs Sub. If it wasn't for Dub, we might not even have as big of an anime fan base in the US...so I say we thank the Dub versions!

I'm not criticizing the SUBS themselves, I'm criticizing the people who make ignorant points about it. The whole point of this question was to gain knowledge from Sub and Dub lovers alike about why they prefer what they do. I've watched my fair share of Subs, I never said I only watch Dubs, and I am friends with Sub likers...I just made a general note about the ignorant weeaboos who comment on subs being better because "they r tehhh originalzzz".

Best Answer

Honestly, I like subs way more than dubs, but that's probably because I'm used to listening to it in Japanese and reading the subs on the screen. I have nothing against dubs because my first anime was in dubbed formation and the dubbed version of my favorite anime is pretty good too.

Subs are more accurate than dubbed versions and it's nice to hear the person who was appointed the role, voice the role. The voice actors for the original Japanese version sound more like the character they are playing, in my opinion at least. I like subs because I've been watching subbed anime for over 3 years and I'm used to it. I just read the subs fast and then look at the image, or I look at both and focus what I'm looking at on the subs.

Dubs are okay, but not exactly what I like. I agree with the fact that without dubs, it wouldn't be as popular in the US, but when an anime is dubbed, it's licensed and you usually can't watch it online. I love some English voice actors, and I'm quite fond of some dubbed anime (in dubbed form), so I can't really put up much of a fight with dubs and subs. And I want to be an English voice actor so... uh yeah.

I prefer subbed versions, but dubs aren't too bad either. If I didn't start watching anime in subs, I'd probably stick to dubs, just because I'm used to it. But then again everyone has their own opinions, although I don't think they should run around posting that they hate it...

I can deal with both. Those weaboos can learn the language and watch it without the sub if that is the problem. And anyway, I think subs are better for people learning the language because they can get used to the dialect and the way they talk (even though half the time, the subs are off) and also help you learn to read faster and take things in better. Really, the subs are more of a learning experience and the dubs are enjoyable.

The dubs are gonna be different from the original, people gotta deal with that, but like you said, there wouldn't be half as many people watching anime if it weren't for dubs. Really, it's Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh and Naruto and Hamtaro that made kids watch anime early on. When I was little, I can clearly remember saying something like "Oh, I love 'Japanamation'" and I probably remember it because I made a fool of myself around some real anime fans. Now, I'm a real anime fan....

I got off topic, anyway dubs and subs should be at peace. Sometimes I prefer dubs, sometimes subs. Can't we all get along?

I do agree that which ever version you first watch is usually the one you prefer. I usually watch my anime dubbed because the first anime I watched was dubbed. Also i usually multitask whenever i'm watching anime and it helps me concentrate more.

In my opinion i think that most dubs are great. Don't get me wrong there are some dubs that are just plain awful but for the most part they're good. I believe the actors can act just as great or even better as the Japanese actors. Take Baccano!, Ouran, FMA, and Romeo x Juliet as an example, the dubbed version of them both are amazing. I really think that dubs don't get as much positive feed back as they should. The thing about dubs is that they have to translate all the dialogue to fit the mouth flaps. Also as i've said before the actors can be just as great or even better. But some of the things that bother me about dubs is if their voices don't sound anywhere near close to the subbed version, also miss pronunciation and men with deep voices playing as small children bother the heck out of me.

For subs, i think their just as great. Its nice to here anime in its original language and hearing the original actors playing their characters. Also if the anime takes place in japan, their actors are more comfortable in their role and do things that we don't do in america. Now that the things that bother me about subs is that sometimes the subtitles don't appear on the screen when the character is talking, or when the subtitles are sometimes off key. Also sometimes the translations are bad (I can speak quite a lot Japanese, not all the way fluent.) and its hard for me to concentrate and read the subtitles. The thing that bothers me the most about subs are the sub purists. They act like watching dubs is a sin when it isn't, and don't have an open mind.

But all together, my opinion is that both sub and dub are great! c:

• brisco

Subbed Anime

Well, for me, I like subs better. I don't know why, and it's not because English dubs suck or anything. In fact, I think most animes with english dubs are pretty okay. I just prefer to watch my anime with subs, because in my opinion, japanese voices work well and seem more fit for anime.

Though, it is true that it's annoying when you're watching an anime in dub and you see comments about how it sucks. If people think it sucks, why are they even watching it anyways? If they don't like it, all they need to do is get off the web page and stop the video.

But anyway, I like watching my anime with subs because I think that it's better in my opinion. If I want to watch anime in dub, then I'll watch in dub.

I think you are completely right, I mean I love to read yes, but when I go to watch a show I intend to watch what is happening rather than read and try to keep up with the words and missing the visuals. Yes people can have their own opinions and they have every right to express them but say if its a dub ONLY site then those kind of people who love subbed shouldn't complain that dub is awful when it's a dub only, we understand that you prefer sub only but there are people who do prefer their own language.

Most of the time, I'd say subbed - simply because I feel that television shows and movies are better in their original language, no matter what that might be. But there are times when an English-dubbed anime is superior to the original Japanese, such as Cowboy Bebop.

I think people tend to prefer the original language because it's part of a cohesive whole - the director had oversight on the set, characters, inflection - it makes to entire work feel complete and polished.

Subbed all the way, my reasoning is that most dubbing companies (US for example) tend to spend as little money as they can Dubbing it.. in doing so they take away (already suggested) the emotion of the anime. To read subtitles as you watch a video can be tricky, but the more you watch and read the more you get used to how it feels, i've gotten to the point that I can watch episodes and stop reading certain times because I know the works in Japanese.

To go along with taking the emotion out, companies like Funimation have a bad tendency to "dumb" the speech down so that it can be broadcast on network television.. it honestly takes away from the setting that the anime is supposed to be portraying.. :|

Decision is up to you, there are some anime that have been very well done in dubbed format, but those are few and far between...

I like dubs and subs.

But dubs can be so annoying. Sometimes they have the annoying-est voices, and CAN'T portray the charcter correctly! Or they change so many things, it's not even the same anime anymore!

Take, Zatch Bell, for an example. For one, the name of the anime is Konjiki no Gash Bell! They changed so many names and drew over this and that.. I HAD to watch the sub.

The only reason I watch dubs is because it's on TV and I don't feel like going to my computer to watch subs!

But I'm not the one to debate over 'em, really.

Both are great, but it really matters WHAT anime they're dubbing, for me.

RE:

ANIME: Dubbed vs Subbed?

I am so tired of trying to watch anime and having weeaboos complain about the Dub being SOOOO horrible and the Sub being SOOOO beautifully stunning and Golden Globe-worthy. I am all for the originals in things, but it's so much better listening in my own language. I'm not sure about you...

Source(s): anime dubbed subbed: https://trimurl.im/a16/anime-dubbed-vs-subbed