Cutting dead leaves and branches on my tomato plant.?

I just bought a big already grown tomato plant from walmart the other day and there are some half rotten leaves and branches? do i just cut them off or leave em alone. Also the tomato plant is in a huge pot should i leave it in it or transplant it into my garden? im a first time gardener so i need as much advice.

Favorite Answer

First, let me say I hope this is the correct time of year for planting in your area. It's already too late to plant tomatoes in most of the country. Wal mart (and the other big box stores) are all guilty of putting out plants any time they are available, not when they should be planted for your local zone. To find your planting zone use the internet, put in your zip code AND planting zone and it will tell you. Then research right time to plant tomatoes in your zone.

But since you already have this one, time to plant! Remove any dead branches/leaves, and also remove any small branches near the bottom. Then (and this is ONLY for tomato plants) plant it with about 1/3 of the plant buried in the ground. So you will make a hole that is a deep as the pot plus at least 1/3 of the actual plant. Make the hole as big around as your pot, and use the pot itself to firm up and level the bottom of the hole before transplanting (this prevents air pockets). By planting it this deep you will have a stronger better producing plant. Put a tomato cage or some stakes around it while it is small, so you won't disturb the roots later while tying it up to keep it off the ground.

Good luck!

Source(s): Years of vegetable gardening.