What constitutes "essential government services"? What is not essential? What are you willing to pay taxes for?

Police, fire department, access to national or state parks? What about street and bridge repair? What about defense?

Favorite Answer

In the event of government shutdown, these are considered essential (and I'm more than willing to pay for them):

Providing for the national security, including the conduct of foreign relations essential to the national security or the safety of life and property.

Benefit payments and the performance of certain contract obligations

Medical care of inpatients and emergency outpatient care

Conducting activities to ensure continued public health and safety, including safe use of food, drugs and hazardous materials

Air traffic control and other transportation safety functions

Border and coastal protection and surveillance

Protection of federal lands, buildings, waterways, equipment and other property owned by the United States

Care of prisoners and other persons in the custody of the United States

Law enforcement and criminal investigations

Emergency and disaster assistance

Activities that ensure production of power and maintenance of the power distribution system

Activities essential to the preservation of the essential elements of the money and banking system of the United States, including borrowing and

tax collection activities of the Treasury

Activities necessary to maintain protection of research property.

These are considered non-essential (though veterans might disagree):

Health, welfare and financial services for Veterans

Passport and visa application processing

National parks, museums and monument

Work on bankruptcy cases

Recruitment and testing of federal law-enforcement officials

Disease surveillance and information distribution

Toxic waste clean-up

Police, fire, state parks, and bridges are the local and state governments responsibilities.

Why should we need a big budget for National parks if the idea is to keep as they are.

Police: Depends on the department. Sometimes, there are police departments so corrupt, that you're better off taking the law into your own hands. There's three out there that need to be wiped out.

Fire Department: Important.

N/State parks: Keep them.

Street/Bridge repair: Important...

Defense: Ahh, here's a nice one we can cut! PULL OUR GOD DAMNED TROOPS OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST. WE'RE NOT "Team America: World Police" SO WHY ARE WE TRYING TO BE? WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!

Education system is corrupted. I wouldn't take it any lower than it is now, however

Eliminate Public Housing and Welfare for anyone with one or more felonies, and stop giving extra handouts to welfare recipients for having more than 2 kids, jesus christ... Oh, Drug test too!

Source(s): Cut defense in half. My AR-15 and the guns of other patriots can handle any pansies trying to invade our country.

My husband became an engineer for a central authority employer. They did that some yrs in the past. They fired each and all the secretaries. They have been seen "non-needed". Engineers had to do each and all the flaws, their secretary might do. costly use of their time. Engineers might run down the hall to make copies. Make their very own shuttle reservations.

Well, I'd say there would be very little disagreement over police and fire depts....I think state/natl parks are VERY important but a CEO backed douche like Perry thinks it's not but is fine with tax payers having part of their taxes pay for the murder of a victim he wronged.

That's the type of thing we vote on and douches like Perry get away with lying to a mostly ignorant public.

All of the above and a few other things. I have no problem with welfare for those who actually need it: the handicapped (if it affects their ability to and to offset health care cost increases as a result of the injury), the mentally infirm, people suffering from temporary job loss (note the word "temporary"), and those in poverty. However, I do not support it for people who are baby factories. If you can't afford it, either abort it or give it up for adoption. Then go tie your tubes. I have no problem with Social Security as it was originally intended - which was not to be used in the general fund as it is now. Education spending has done nothing to help us improve, so it should be gone. Other than those things, nothing else.

Source(s): Atheist; accountant; Libertarian

I will be willing to pay for everything except subsidies to companies who return nothing to the tax chest.I would not like to pay for the Military Industrial Complex. They benefit only from war. In self defense yes, and for defending the defenseless.

Fix the roads and guard the gates.

In order of importance

1) Police

2) Education

3) Healthcare

4) Housing

5) Transport

In an Ideal society, i would be willing to contribute 80% of my taxes for all of that to be provided by the government.

Military - the rest should be left to the states