chlorax asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

Whose rotation is really better, the phillies or yankees?

I think they are really about even.

The phillies team era is 3.05.

The yankees team era is 3.48

So the difference between their eras isn't even half a run. Also NL pitchers only have to face 8 batters, AL pitchers have to face the DH, who is often big, strong, and batting over 300. If you don't think this makes a difference, it really does.

Look what happened to Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez. They all thrived in the NL, and as soon as they played for the yankees, they imploded. Javy had a 2.87 era with the braves in 2009 and a 5.32 era with the yankees in 2010. See the difference? Roger Clemens had the following eras in his first 5 years with the yankees. 4.60, 3.70, 3.51, 4.35, 3.91. With the astros in the NL he had the following eras. 2.98, 1.87 and 2.30. Then in 2007 with the yankees, his era was 4.18.

Halladay's career era in the AL is 3.43, while his era in the NL is currently 2.43. Lee's career era in the AL is 3.88, while his era in the NL is currently 2.75. Roy Oswalt's AL era is 3.24 while his nl era is 2.69. So this is another example of the DH making a difference.

Also the phillies consistently play the mets, marlins and nationals while the yankees are up against the sox, rays and jays. And to add to that, Citi Field is a pitchers friendly park, while yankee stadium, fenway and rogers centre are hitter friendly parks.

Going back to the DH thing, who is more likely to get three hits in a game, David Ortiz, or a typical pitcher?

Update:

sorry i made a mistake, i was thinking about someone else when talking about oswalt, as he was never in the al.

Update 2:

tom johnson: phil hughes and colon are both active. Colon has a cy young also, along with cc

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Phillies have a much better rotation.

You make a valid point about the team ERAs, but you also have to consider that the Phils play in an extreme hitters' park. You should knock a few points of their ERA to compensate for that. Also, the team ERA includes more than just the rotation. If the Yankees have a better bullpen than the Phillies (don't know if this is the case; just speculating), then that will make the ERA contest closer than it should be.

Even if the Yankees ERA were comparable to the Phillies', that wouldn't prove that they had a better rotation; it would merely prove that their pitchers are doing well this year.

I think it's pretty hard to beat the star power of Halladay, Lee, and Oswalt. In my opinion, the only legitimate competitor to the Philly rotation is San Francisco.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

The Phillies have

Ozwalt (sub 3.75 era)

2x Cy Young Halladay

1xCy Young Lee

Kendrick (sub 3.5 era)

1xWorld Series MVP Hamels

THe Yankees have

1xCy Young Sabathia

Burnett (era around 4 in a half)

Nova (era around 4 in a half

Garcia (era around 3 in a half)

Hughes [Injured]

Colon [Injured]

You tell me which rotation looks better

• 9 years ago

Phillies, no questions asked and this is coming from a huge Braves fan.

Phillies Starters (bullpen NOT included cause you said ROTATION)

ERA 2.99 - 1st

WHIP 1.12 - 2nd

AVG .241 - 7th

FIP - 2.90 - 1st

Yankees Starters

ERA 3.63 - 10th

WHIP 1.27 - 11th

AVG .246 - 9th

FIP - 3.86 - 13th

If you are going by the pitching staff itself, the Phillies still beat the Yankees in each category, mostly.

I would say though the Yankees bullpen is better. 3.15 ERA, 3.49 FIP,and 3.2 WAR as opposed to the Phillies 3.23 ERA, 3.94 FIP, 0.9 WAR

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Phillies. typical pitcher

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.