How do I know if a company name has already been used by someone else?

I started making hats as a hobby but have since received and dispatched orders to a good few people in the last month. I now want to start up my own Etsy shop online so I can establish my own brand and advertise my products better, but I'm not sure if the brand name I have in mind has already been copyrighted... show more I started making hats as a hobby but have since received and dispatched orders to a good few people in the last month. I now want to start up my own Etsy shop online so I can establish my own brand and advertise my products better, but I'm not sure if the brand name I have in mind has already been copyrighted by someone else's business. I googled it and didn't see any webpages belonging to a business with the same name, but I don't want to get into trouble by posting the name onto my Etsy shop if someone accuses me of stealing it.
Is there another search engine or site where I can check this name? And if it hasn't been used already, how do I go about protecting it?

Thanks so much :)