What is the legality of hemp?

I know there was some new legislation passed recently that distinguished a difference between marijuana (flower) and hemp (stalk of the plant).

So what's the legality of hemp now? Can cannabis plants be legally grown to produce industrial hemp? or can plant material be purchased from cannabis growers to be turned into industrial hemp?

I did a bit of research but didn't find the information I was looking for, I know some one on y! can help me out with some info

Obviously some hemp has been able to be produced, but you only really see hemp products in head shops or dispensaries. Hemp is an amazing fiber and I'm interested in using it for a wide variety of products, but I don't know the regulatory issues that go with it.

@thefirstdragon can you give me details on the low-thc plant? and does anyone know if the new regulations affect this?

• Bubbie
    Favorite Answer

Growing hemp is illegal in the USA. That has not changed recently.

Hemp IS the low-THC plant, there is no high THC hemp. High THC is a different type of cannabis, or a different category of strains to be specific.

All hemp, even the non-drug variety, is illegal to grow in the United States. This is because even hemp has minute amounts of THC, even though it is physically impossible to even get close to high from it. Even if you smoked an entire field of it, you wouldn't get high because the CBD levels of hemp are extremely high, and this counters the effect of THC.

The hemp products you see in the United States are made from imported hemp. The US imports most of its hemp from Canada, where the acreage dedicated to hemp has doubled in the last year because of skyrocketing demand.

If you want to learn more about hemp, email me at thehempsolution@gmail.com. And if you want to start a hemp business, I know several ways to get high quantities of raw hemp fiber to make your own things, or hemp nutritional products. It's up to you, but if you're serious about doing something with hemp, there are many ways to go about it. Hope to see an email from ya!

Source(s): Years of hemp research and activism

There is a low-thc hemp plant. For years it has been possible to buy products made from it. both fibers and foods.

I assume there are regulations to make sure it is the legal stuff.