What are your thoughts on this?

New House 2012 budget bill would cut NASA funding by 1.6 billion and cancel the James Webb Space Telescope.

http://spacenews.com/civil/110706-nasa-budget-canc...

Update:

Keep in mind that more than 1.6 billion is spent on the wars EACH WEEK.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • jpm896
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

NASA and its contracts create jobs in both the public and private sectors and make money for American companies. NASA research and development has led to important discoveries that lead to new technologies useful to all--both the companies that patent them and sell them and the peole whose lives they benefit. The tax revenue generated as a result provides $7 in returns on every $1 the government "invests" in NASA, meaning it actually makes the government money without increasing taxes. Even for the shortsighted who only see in dollars, NASA is a worthwhile investment.

A major reason the United States is falling behind is because of a lack of interest and emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education and careers. NASA helps generate public interest in these areas which are important to individuals for getting good jobs and to the country's economic and political good.

In short, the NASA budget is an investment that leads to beneficial returns for the whole country, including the federal governent. Cutting the budget in the name of reducing spending and helping our country is entirely counertintuitive.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I like science as much as the next nerd. But we're badly in debt, and I am willing to cut things I like in the interest of making progress on the issue.

However, you cannot balance the budget with discretionary spending cuts nor military cuts. The Federal govt alone is now 25% of our GDP...a post WW2 record. 3.5% of GDP is spent on the military, 4.5% with the war. What's more, that share will shrink in the future as the 100 TRILLION in unfunded entitlement liability through 2080 starts to hit. Entitlement reform is the ONLY way to fix the problem. Tax increases, military cuts, discretionary cuts...all fine and dandy, but all drops in the bucket.

The IMF did a study of nations that attempted to close their deficits. The successful ones generally were made up of 4 to 5 dollars of spending cuts for every dollar of tax increase. I suggest we follow that model.

• 9 years ago

NASA may be the only federal agency which is worth it's price. Of course that's why government is cutting it's budget, because it actually does some good.

And you guys love government. Simple phucking fools.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

We should invest in space exploration so we will one day be prepared to have the human race survive when an asteroid hits or the sun burns out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think it shouldn't be cut this much, and rather cut something else a bit.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

James Webb must be crushed.

• 9 years ago

I think I'd rather see them cut that from bombs and missiles than from exploration and knowledge.

• sad, but since GW Bush has placed this country in such a clusterfuck of war debt, we can't afford the luxuries of learning and discovery.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

We should not be cutting scientific research.

• 9 years ago

One small step in the right direction to get our fiscal matters in order... No pun intended.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.