Is Ohio State law program good?

I am very interested in law school, is Ohio state law program good? I want to know if it's also competitive, and if the pay is great once you're done with school. Also what is the average GPA requirement. If you guys have any other suggestion for good law school.I want to be a patent lawyer/agent!

Favorite Answer

According to USN&WR, Ohio State Law School ranks in at #35. That technically makes it a Tier 1 school. However, what Ohio State is not is a T14 law school (i.e. a Top 14 like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc). The T14 rank is far more important than the Tier 1 rank in determining if a school is "good."

By my definition, a school is "good" if there is a high probability that you will get a decent return for your investment. All schools teach the law. What matters is what you can do with your law degree after graduation. A law degree from most schools is generally not a wise investment these days. Students pay out roughly $150,000 in tuition and limp out of school with around $100,000 in debt. The legal market these days is terrible (worse than most industries). There are many many unemployed lawyers all competing for very few jobs. If a law grad is lucky enough to get a job, the starting salaries are very low (i.e. nowhere near enough to both pay off law school debt and eat).

Law firms that pay a decent salary are focusing their recruiting efforts primarily at the T14. Thus, the old notion still applies, "It's Yale or Fail." Since Ohio State is not a T14, I cannot say that it is a "good" program. My advice, if you want to be a patent lawyer, get an undergrad degree in engineering. Then, apply only to the T14 law schools. If you do not get accepted to a T14, then forget law school. Anything else is not worth the effort and money.

No..

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration...